Connecticut and Rhode Island

I spent a week in East Hampton Connecticut and counted Rhode Island on my map of places I’ve been since it was such a small state and so close.  It didn’t make sense to switch campgrounds.  For such small states, both sure had lots of green space.  I found a great hiking trail very near the campground and decided to take little Beefcake along for the ride.  I have a pouch that hangs in front of me so he can see where he’s going.  I can’t believe how much he loves riding in it.  I thought he settled down and just went to sleep, but people tell me his eyes are wide open and he’s looking around.  There was supposed to be a waterfall that according to the guide was worth leaving the trail for.  Well, I left the trail and crossed several streams before the trail disappeared with no waterfall to be found.  I did see a really cool owl though.  It was sitting in a tree right by the trail and was pretty tolerant of me standing there taking pictures of it.

I took a little day trip down to Mystic and drove along the coast.  I must admit, it’s not much of a coast.  I expected to see quaint little fishing villages or something.  Not so much, the road was too far from the water to see anything.  There were a few harbors, and some really good clam chowder.  I spent a nice afternoon in the Mystic Aquarium.  They had  really cool Titanic exhibit with stories from survivors. 

After the aquarium, I took a boat ride on the ARGIA, an 81-foot traditional sailing ship. The ride was awesome, once we put the sails up, we just glided along enjoying islands, lighthouses, and fresh air.  I finally got to see the quaint little seaside villages I was expecting. 

Another day I went to Newport and took a nice little harbor cruise.  Oh man the expensive yachts were everywhere!  I checked out Fort Adams, but since it was closing I couldn’t do more than look in from behind a closed gate.  It was getting late as I stopped at my last destination, the Cliff Walk.  A scenic 3.5 mile walkway that borders the back lawn of the Breakers and many other Newport mansions.  The view was spectacular on the ocean side.  The sun was setting and the horizon was bright red.  On the mansion side, the vegetation pretty much blocked the view of the homes, but from what I could see, they were beautiful as one would expect.   

The campground I was in was pretty nice.  It was a mixture of seasonal sites and overnighters like myself.  As I walked around I was amazed at how much work people put into their seasonal sights.  They were bigger than some yards I’ve seen and I tried to see as much of the park as I could on my evening walks.  The area I was in was basically a huge oval with all the sites on the inside being used by weekenders.  I arrived on a Monday and it was almost empty.  On Thursday I was out late and I was shocked when I got back to find every site was taken; some with more than one tent.  The entire weekend was a beehive of activity, but come Monday morning it was blissfully quiet again.  Mid week I noticed a small RV had pulled in.  On my way around the circle I stopped to chat with them.  In a few minutes an older couple (70ish) walked by and joined in the conversation.  The woman asked about Brutus and I told her he was 17.  She basically said it was cruel to let him live at that age. I told her he was very healthy, and asked why she thought he was suffering.  She just said because he was so old.  I asked her if she thought everyone over a certain age should be put down.  The original camper almost choked.  The old woman kept up a runny patter of negative comments for example saying she could never travel in such a small rig as the other campers had.  I honestly think she had no idea how insulting she was.  After about her 3rd comment like that, the original camper and I just started zinging her comments right back at her.  And she had absolutely no idea!  For the next few days, she stopped by my camper several times to invite me to walk with her, but I was totally not interested. 

Next stop is a Habitat build in Massachusetts. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020