Epiphany


It was sad to leave my little clearing in the forest and the friends I made, but it was time to hit the road.  I’ve been pretty busy since I left and I just realized I haven’t posted a thing in weeks.   Now that I’m on the road again, I’ll try to go back to weekly updates.  

From Sonora I headed north to Redding for a week.  Man was it hot!!  I took a drive out to Lassen Volcanic National Park and hiked a trail called Bumpass Hell.  It went past some mud spots, or roaring fumaroles (steam and volcanic-gas vents), thumping mud pots, boiling pools, and steaming ground.  That’s something you don’t see every day!  The road that goes through the park was closed due to active fires in the area, so I didn’t get to see the whole thing, but I did see some interesting sights.  There was no guard rail, a narrow road and steep drop offs.  That morning I saw a video of two guys racing on Pikes Peak and they went over the edge.  I couldn’t get that image out of my head and my truck is a whole lot wider that that little race car.  I was kind of glad to have to turn around.   Check it out  http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/48687179 

For my next adventure, I hiked some more of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) in the Shasta National Forest.  The views of Mt. Shasta were beautiful!  This type of forest was much more to my liking, with more trees and lush vegetation.  The trail followed a river with some very nice waterfalls.  At some point it turned away from the water and I started climbing.  The temp was about 111 in Redding, but it was much cooler where I was, or so I thought.  As I climbed I realized it was still pretty hot; I was dripping with sweat.  I have always hiked with a frozen bottle of water in my pack to make my drinking water cooler and wow was it refreshing.  I planned on a long hike, so this time I brought two frozen bottles, nestled on either side of my water bag.  Of course the ice in the bottles eventually melts, but not for a surprisingly long time.  And when it does, I have more water to drink.  On this hike, I sucked down the 64 oz bladder bag, both 24 oz water bottles, a nectarine and apple and an orange.  I realized pretty early on there was no way I was going to hike the 4-5 hours I had planned.  I think I did a total of 3.

As I was hiking along I was thinking about what kind of job I was going to look for when I got to Florida.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I loathed the thought of going  back to work. With the astronomical monthly truck and RV payment, I’ve blown through my savings (as anticipated when I hit the road in February).  Plan A had always been to work for a few more years and be debt free when I started this trip.  When I quit my job in January, I decided to  take the summer off, then go back to work and get back on track with plan A.  But what if I could come up with a plan B?  Of course, one option would be to sell my house in Tennessee but since someone else had been kind enough to pay the mortgage for the past 10+ years, keeping it is a no brainer.  I’ve been stashing money in IRA’s for years, but there is the whole 10% early withdrawal and tax liability, so I never seriously considered that either.  But on this day I got to thinking…  when I lived in Oregon, I used to hike the PCT as often as I could.  I had a secret dream of hiking the entire trail, from Mexico to Canada.  When I moved back to Virginia, I had the same thought about the Appalachian trail.  10 years ago, I was physically capable of doing it, but now there is no way I could ever carry the pack and hike 10-20 miles a day.  I got to thinking, if I go back to work and delay my adventure a few more years, what will my physical ability be like then?  Will I still be able to do all the things I can do now, will I still want travel, or will I be sucked back into that life where you live pay check to pay check, just dreaming about the future.  As I said when I quit my job, life is just too short.   I decided the penalty and tax is a small price to pay for my freedom!  So, good bye retirement savings, good bye debt and hello real retirement at age 50!!  I’ll probably do more volunteer jobs to stretch my retirement check, but it’s a great way to really see the national parks, I only have to ‘work’ a few days a week, and each gig is only a few months at a time.
 
On my last day in the Redding area, I decided to hike in Whiseytown National Recreation Area.  It was still wicked hot, so I decided to take my beach stuff and a picnic lunch for after the hike.  I pulled into the day use area where my trail started and there in the middle of the road was a perfectly fine inflatable kayak, just laying in the middle of the road.  Being the good Samaritan that I was, I picked it up put it in my truck.  I couldn’t take the chance on someone swerving to avoid hitting it and wrecking their car now could I?  After I let the air out and stuffed it in the back seat so it wouldn’t blow away again, I ran like hell, least the careless driver who lost it should realize it was gone and come back.  Now I had to drive to the other side of the lake to the other beach and trail head, but some sacrifices are just worth it!  The trail was awesome and it was early enough when I started that the heat wasn’t too oppressive.  At the end of the hike, not so much, so the cool water was a welcome relief.  After lunch I floated around in the water in my little inflatable lounge chair thinking man do I have it made!!!!!

The next day I packed up and hit the road into Oregon.  First stop, Roseburg, which was as close as I could get to Crater Lake.  My plan for the next day was to hike more of the PCT, which runs thru the park.  I got to looking at the map and realized not only was the park further than anticipated, there was a lot to do on the Scenic Drive just to get there.  I spent the day admiring the beautiful scenery and hiking short distances into various sights and waterfalls.    Once I got to Crater Lake itself, the first overlook was impressive.  The lake is huge of course, with Wizard Island sticking out.  I checked the map and made note of several sights to see, including Pinnacle Overlook which is about 6 miles off the Rim Road.  These Pinnacles are a collection of 100-foot-tall spires which have been created as the canyon walls around them have eroded away. The spires are “fossil fumaroles,” each marking a spot where volcanic gas rose up through hot ash deposits, cementing the ash into solid rock. (http://www.nationalparksblog.com/pinnacles-overlook-crater-lake-national-park/)  Very cool looking!  By the time I got back to Rim Road and stopped at the next overlook, the lake was all but obscured, due to haze maybe?  I fell in behind a car with two men in it, and we seemed to be stopping at the same spots with the same disappointing results.  They noticed the Retired Air Force sticker on my truck and asked if my husband was retired. I informed them that they recently began letting women in the military and in fact it was me who was retired.  I realized they were probably just making a feeble attempt at conversation and smiled as it said it, so we began chatting.  They thought the lake was obscured due to smoke, they said there were several forest fires in the area.  It seems the same story in every forest I’ve been to in the past few weeks. It reminded me of my last week in the Stanislaus. 

Tom and I were working on a project upcountry, restoring benches and painting bathrooms.  There had been a lightning storm over the weekend and crews were watching for fires.  One of the fire guys came by in the morning and said that even though the lightening may have hit several days ago, the spark could smolder for quite some time before turning into an actual fire.  We were at Donnell Vista, which offers a spectacular view of the Carson-Iceberg wilderness area.  He didn’t spot any smoke at our location and headed further upcountry while Tom and I went back to work.  A while later, a lady approached us in a rather frantic state, asking if we had a radio to contact anyone.  We said of course, was there some kind of medical emergency or something.  She said no, she spotted smoke and wanted us to call someone.  We said there were fire crews on the lookout, not to worry.  The more we talked to her the more frantic she became, finally stating we had to call someone, she didn’t want the forest to burn down!  I thought about telling her that the forest needed fire, that it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, but we could tell from her attitude that she expected red fire trucks to race into the wilderness and put it right out.  When we called it in, it had already been reported.   It was pretty interesting, for the rest of the day we watched it grow  and assured all the visitors who asked about it that it was reported.   Often when a fire happens in a wilderness area they let it burn.  It takes out the underbrush and allows the trees to grow.  Also, some pines need the extreme heat to open up the pine cones and propagate.   A fire crew came to our location and told us they were going to try to get a crew in there, because there was a campground nearby, but it would take several hours for them to hike in.  In the afternoon a helicopter flew over to assess the fire.  By the end of the day the smoke had grown and turned darker.  We guessed it was at least 5 miles from us across a gorge.  As we were leaving for the day, we checked one last time.  By then, we could see actual flames engulfing trees.  An interesting last day!

 Today I decided to take a rest.  Beefcake and I thought we should pamper ourselves,  so I got my nails done and had lunch at Applebee’s.   I wanted Indian or Thai, but apparently everything here closes down on Sunday.  Brutus had himself done up too, with a shampoo, hair trim and his nails done.  I saw polish there, but with a name like Brutus Beefcake, I didn’t think he needed painted toe nails.  He looks so handsome and his fur is so fluffy!  When I picked him up, I asked how they got his kinky, poodle fur to straighten and fluff out like that.  She said to blow dry him after a bath.  Hmmm if that’s all they do, he might just be fluffy more often!

Tomorrow I’m headed to Winchester Bay on the Oregon coast before heading up to Portland.  I’m so excited to see my friends there!  I might just have to extend my stay another week to fit everyone in.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118205599704530902363/ReddingAndRosebug?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjt4dLJrcfBcQ#

Comments

  1. Lisa, you are so inspiring. I am very happy for you. In 5yrs I can finally retire. Once the kids have graduated high school, my husband & I plan on moving to the U.P. We are done with what people call "civilization" :-) Jeannie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020