Tuscaloosa week 2-3


This week we were joined by an awesome group of high schoolers from Holy Trinity High School in Melbourne Florida.  One girl in particular stood head and shoulders above the rest.  Her name was Lauren and she is one of the sharpest young ladies I’ve seen in a while.  The rest of the kids were lots of fun to be around.  One of my favorite was an exchange student from Hong Kong named Chang.  He’s been in the US for 2 years.  I told him he reminded me of a 2nd grader, always getting into mischief, but he had a great heart.  There were several other boys on my crew including Reid and Jose.  I’m ashamed to admit I’ve forgotten the names of the other 2-3 boys, but they were all awesome workers!  Together we raised the outside walls and put up plywood around ½ the house.  Another crew including Lauren and the adult chaperone Mr. B worked on the safe room.  They were joined by Neil and John from the Presbyterian Disaster Response (PDR) group out of Lancaster Penn.  The PDR had a large group working on a house across the street from us and I’m happy to report, we received the best two gentlemen by far. 

Week 3 we were joined by a group of kids from the Seven Rivers Christian School. Like the other group, these kids were awesome!  I got to work with twins Chris and Larry, they were so much fun!  We finished putting put the plywood on the outside walls then covered that with a layer of Dow board.  That’s blue Styrofoam used for insulation.  It’s called Dow bard because Dow donates it to Habitat.   While we were working on the outside of the house, other crews were putting up the inside walls.  Finally we were ready for the roof trusses.  This was an all hands on deck job.  These trusses are HEAVY!!!  It took 6 guys to carry them from the front yard, where they had been built, to the back of the house.  The 6 guys lifted theM up and 3 of the 6 walked them up ladders and slid them over the roof.  2 people on ladders inside the house helped lift them to the top.    Next step was to slide the trusses from back of the house to the front.  This took 2 people with long 2x4’s to push and guide the trusses.  Once at the front, there were 3 people on top who the stood the trusses up and held them in place where 2 people on ladders on the side of the house nailed them to the top of the inside walls.  My job in all this was to stand on the inside ladder and help lift and guide the trusses onto the house in the back.  I then climbed down and helped guide them to the front.  Next I climbed up another ladder to nail them into the walls.  I gave up on the nailing part because the nails had to go in at an angle and I kept missing the board.  In my defense, the guy on the other side had a nail gun while I was working with only a hammer. 

The Care-A-Vanners have all gone, but we were joined by a group of 6 from Columbus Ohio.  As always, it’s a great group of people.  Roger is from Columbus so it’s nice for him to work with a few people he knows.  They made friends with a lady on the street we’re building on who has about 25 cats.  The neighborhood was destroyed 2 years ago when the tornado came through.  These cats lived in various houses and survived, but had no home to return to, so she sort of took them in.  The Ohio group went to the pet store and got her several large bags of cat food and is sending her money to help with spaying and neutering the cats.  It’s amazing to stand on the roof of our house and see a line of trees in the distance, then nothing.  In talking to several local residence who were where when the tornado went through, the area we are in had a lot of huge trees.  Now it’s just a open field as far as you can see unless you are up high.  There are a few houses here and there who survived the tornado, but most were obliterated. 

Speaking of Roger, we have been spending a lot of time together and I really, really like him.  He’s the reason I stayed an extra week and it’s been great.  He really makes me realize how nice it would be to have a partner on my big adventure.  Without putting the cart before the horse, I really hope we can make our schedules line up so we can spend more time together in the future. 

The rest of the Habitat people in Tuscaloosa were awesome too, I will absolutely make it back there work with them again.  Peter Salemme lives at Camp Y in a great little house that he rebuilt.  He also has a blog, chronicling his adventures with Habitat  http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/petersalemme/1/1362231531/tpod.html.  He’s a great host and has had many of the groups to dinner at his house. 

Although I had the best time in Tuscaloosa, it’s time to move on to Albany Georgia to work with 2 groups of college kids.  I’m told I have 63 kids, 2 houses and 1 construction supervisor waiting for me.

Link to pictures
https://plus.google.com/photos/118205599704530902363/albums/5846870599277451841?authkey=CN2a_p6ytqvwdg#photos/118205599704530902363/albums/5846870599277451841?authkey=CN2a_p6ytqvwdg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020