Frog Rally at Niagra Falls

Although it was only about a 6 hour drive from Indian Lake to Ontario, I decided to leave a day early and stop for the night at Camping World in Syracuse.  I had a sudden urge to check out other RV’s.  Not to trade, I still love mine, just to window shop.  I checked before I left to make sure I could boondock overnight, and was pleasantly surprised to find they provided free electrical hookup.  After taking my time shopping and buying a few ‘necessary’ items, I was ready to hit the sales lot.  Imagine my disappointment when they were all locked.  You had to get a sales person to walk around with you.  What a drag!  I personally think they lose business that way, but maybe they have a problem with vandalism. 

This was my 3rd FROG rally (Forest Rivers Owners Group) and it was in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  Before going to Canada, I heard several RVers say they had their rigs thoroughly searched at the border.  I was prepared; I had my passport, the dog and cat’s rabies certificates and and was carrying nothing unwelcomed by Canada.  The first border guard I came to asked several questions including where did I live.  I said in my RV.  He said where are all of your belongings.  I said in my RV.  He asked where would I be staying while in Canada.  I said in my RV.  He must have asked 5 or 6 questions that required the same answer.  Next he asked if I owned a gun.  I could have lied, but that’s how you get into trouble, so I said yes.  He asked if I had it with me, I said no.  He asked why not, I said because it’s illegal to bring it into Canada.  He asked why did I own a gun, I said for target shooting and protection.  He asked where was it, I said in a storage unit. Again, he asked multiple questions on the gun.  Finally he tells me to pull forward, where two other officers were waiting for me.  I hand them my paperwork and they tell me to unlock all the compartments on the RV.  I think oh boy, I’m going to be here all day.  I asked if they needed me to open the slides and they said no.  That means they couldn’t get into the bedroom at all, so I’m wondering what’s the point since they can’t be too intent on searching everything.  They were in the RV for about 10 min, then one of them came out and opened the storage compartment underneath and did a cursory peek before handing me back my documents.  Hmm, that was painless.  I asked if they searched me because I admitted to having a gun and they said no, they search all RVs because they can’t see into them like they can a car.  At the rally, I talked to several people and only one other person said they were searched.  I will say they were very polite, even chit chatty with me.  The one searching inside said he was looking at RVs (for himself) and really liked my layout.  One other person said while they were not searched, the officer in the booth was very confrontational, almost trying to pick a fight. 

I had an awesome time at the rally!  Bob and Cindy are the rally organizers and are the perfect people to be the face of Forest River.  They both have incredible memories; if they’ve met you once, they remember everything about you.  They are so much fun to be around, and both are so genuine.   As soon as I parked, I met my neighbors Bev and Ron.  They are a great couple from Wisconsin who also winter in Florida so I’m sure I’ll be seeing them again.  On the other side of me was John (Iggy) a retired AF guy and his wife Di.  He gave me some great tips on maintaining my RV.  Another couple I met were Lorrie and Greg from WV.  Bev, Ron, Lorrie, Greg and I hit it off so well, we spent the entire week together.  It’s so great when you meet people that you just instantly click with.  I also really liked Ruth and Mike from Florida.  They were camped in our row and were part of our little group as well.  They live in Florida full time and I look forward to seeing them this winter too.   There were many more people I met that I really liked, but this little group is who I spent the most time with.

The next morning after breakfast, we decided we wanted to go to Wal-mart and the dollar store.  What else to do you do in a new city, right?  Well, both were closed because it was Canada Day, who knew?  We went cherry picking instead. At the campground, we kept hearing what sounded like gunshots. We were next to a pick your own cherry farm.  Well, the birds like cherries too, so they periodically shot off guns/cannons to keep them from picking the trees bare.  I went along for the adventure since I had a big bag of cherries I had just bought from the grocery store.  After a briefing which included dire warnings not to eat the cherries before washing them, we headed out to begin picking.  I was going to donate mine to the group.  After ignoring the warning and sampling the offerings, I realized the berries I had at home were much sweeter. There had been a lot of rain and most of the cherries had split open, were not ripe, were over ripe or were sour.  Oh well, we here there for the experience anyway.  About 10 minutes after we arrived, Lorrie realized she had dropped her phone somewhere, so I started calling her number while the rest of us spread out to look.  We hadn’t gotten too far in, so it should be there.  At first, the phone rang several times before going to voice mail, so I kept redialing.  After a time, it didn’t ring at all but went straight to voice mail.  We thought it very strange that we couldn’t find the phone, but eventually gave up looking after we decided that it quit ringing because someone picked it up, turned it off and put it in their pocket.  What kind of loser would steal a phone right out from under the nose of people obviously looking for it!  It was Lorrie’s work phone, so she had to call work, have them lock that one out, activate a new one and FedEx it to her.  Luckily she had just got a new IPhone, so it did give her a new toy to play with.

That night we had a really nice camp fire at Bob and Cindy’s site.  I took Brutus Beefcake of course because he just loves camp fires.  Cindy calls him Old Man, so I think when I pull into a campground and someone ask where my husband is, I’ll tell them my old man is either sitting by the front door crying , or he’s sleeping in the floor.  It was nice to see so many people had come to the fire, but the circle was huge.  There was no way I was going to sit by the fire and roast a marshmallow.  Just as that thought crossed my mind, a little girl named Ally ran up and grabbed a marshmallow.  I asked her wouldn’t she like to do one for me too?  She said no and headed over to the fire.  Hmmmm.  A few minutes later she noticed Brutus asleep in my lap and asked if she could hold him.  What do you think my answer was?  I said, didn’t you just tell me no?   Of course I let her hold him, even though I knew it would last for about a second before he clawed his way back to me.  Much to my shock, he let her hold him all night. She carried him all over the place, upside down like a baby, and he never once squirmed to get down.  After that, she kept calling him her dog.  Ally and her younger cousin Ileana became my best friends after that night.   They were there with their grandparents Donna and Martin, another really nice couple from South Carolina.  As we all know, I’m not particularly child friendly, but these two little girls were well behaved and I must admit, kind of fun to be around.  I suppose to celebrate Canada Day, we were treated to a totally  unexpected, but very nice fireworks display.  What a way to end the day…

The next day Bob and Cindy arranged a bus tour for us. Ally and Ileana took turns sitting by me all day and again, I must admit I really enjoyed their company.  One of the things we saw was the floral clock, where we had a group picture taken.  They kept talking about a clock we were going to see and I couldn’t imagine what it was, but it’s a  beautiful clock basically made out of a gigantic flower bed.  Check out the link to the pictures at the bottom.

The Floral Clock is 40 feet wide, with a planted area 38 feet wide, making it one of the largest such clocks in the world. This unique attraction is a very popular stop on the Niagara Parkway and is photographed almost as often as the Falls. The intricate designs on the face of the timepiece are created with up to 16,000 carpet bedding plants. An attractive feature is a 10-foot wide water garden that curves 85 feet around the base of the timepiece.  Each year, the face of the clock is filled with 15,000 to 20,000 carpet plants and colorful annuals, planted in unique, intricate designs.  The hands of the clock are stainless steel tubing: the hour hand is 14.5 ft, the minute hand 17.5 ft and the second hand 21 ft long. Their combined weight is 1,250 pounds. An ivy-clad, louvered stone tower stands 24 feet tall and contains speakers that every quarter hour broadcast Westminster chimes. The clock mechanism runs in a bath of oil.

Of course we took a ride on Maid of the Mist, a boat that takes you from the Canadian docks past the base of the American Falls, then into the basin of the magnificent Canadian Horseshoe Falls. Water rushes all around as you `soak` in the excitement and explore the roar of the Falls. Debuting in 1846, the Maid of the Mist is North America’s oldest tourist attraction.  Although we had the free plastic poncho, the majority of people were soaked by the time we got back.  Those in the front of the boat got a lot more then mist, but they seemed to enjoy it.  The views really were spectacular. 

We made a sort stop at the Botanical Garden just as they were closing, so we didn’t get to go to the Butterfly Conservatory, but the grounds were beautiful and we all enjoyed the chance to stretch our legs.  As we passed a small pond, someone noticed a couple of frogs sitting on the bank.  One was situated so you could get a great shot of it, and it didn’t seem to care how close you got, so I got right up on it and got an amazing picture.  We thought it was apt that all of us FROGS got a great picture of a frog…

For dinner we went to the Skylon Tower.  Before we hit the buffet, we took the glass enclosed Yellow Bug elevators to the observation deck, which is 520 feet from the base to the top of the flashing beacon.  The tower is 775 feet above the Maid of the Mist Pool.  We had an amazing view of the falls as we ate our very tasty dinner!

Of course being tourists, we had to stop at a gift shop.  Outside there was a life size, plastic, obviously male, moose.  As we were sitting on the bus waiting for the last few people, we noticed 4 lovely young ladies photographing each other in funny/obscene poses with the obviously male moose.  I’ll leave the poses to your imagination, but they were all giggling amongst themselves.  As they got in the car to leave, several of us drew their attention to the bus load of people who had just watched their entire shenanigans.  They just about died, but laughed hysterically as they drove away.  Ah to be young and silly….

To end a 2nd wonderful day, we headed back to the falls for the nightly illumination. Every evening at dusk, or in this case, 930, the falls are illuminated with different colors. To celebrate the 4th of July, on this night, the colors rotated between red, white and blue.  A total of twenty-one xenon lights, each with a 30 in diameter, are used to illuminate the Falls in a rainbow of colors. Eighteen are located at the Illumination Tower, beside the Queen Victoria Place and three are located below street level in the gorge opposite the American Falls. Each of the xenon spotlights produces more than 390 million peak beam and has a brilliance of 250 million candlepower.

The 3rd day was a free day, so several of us decided ‘go big or go home’.  We headed off to take a wild ride on the Whirlpool Jet Boat and of course we chose the wilder wet jet option.  There is a more tame, fully enclosed boat, but why bother?  The Niagara River collects all the water from the Great Lakes which amounts to about 20% of the world's fresh water.  Over the past 12,000 years, the turbulent currents of the immensely powerful Niagara Falls have carved out a 7-mile  gorge on the lower Niagara.  Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water flow over the Falls every minute and as that water enters the narrow rock gorge, it is compressed into the rapids that create our whitewater playground. Niagara's Devil's Hole Rapids boast 15'-20'  waves, currents with speeds approaching 20 mph and a solid class 5 rating.  Class 5 rapids are defined as "approaching the limits of navigability, should only be attempted by whitewater experts after taking every available precaution."  for a short clip of the fun check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLTrLA2574&NR=1&feature=fvwp.

So about 12 of us FROGs hop into the back of the jetboat with our life preservers and ponchos on.  We start out on a nice calm river and pick up speed as we head up into the Niagara Gorge.  The scenery is beautiful, the day is perfect, but we aren’t wet.  Our guide tells everyone to lean to one side and hold on.  Suddenly the captain does a full on donut with the speeding jetboat and just like that, we are all drenched and laughing hysterically.  He does it a few more times and we continue on our way, but not before we are mooned by a group of young girls on the river bank.   Yup, these lovely young ladies actually dropped their shorts and mooned us and probably the other 2 boats nearby.  We reach the class 5 Devils Hole Rapids and pull over to the side to watch some of the other jetboats go back and forth.  Man is it crazy; they go flying up in the air and come back down and are drenched.  When it’s our turn, we are ready and its absolutely as much fun as it looks.  We go back a few more times and continue up to Whirlpool Rapids Gorge. 

Whirlpool Rapids Gorge has an average width of 750 feet. This portion of the gorge is world famous for its rapids. The width of the Whirlpool Rapids Gorge narrows to approximately 150 yards. Here the width of the river narrows to approximately 200 feet wide. The depth of the Whirlpool Rapids is 35 feet and the speed of the water at the Whirlpool Rapids is 22 mph. The speed is the result of the narrow width of the gorge, the rapid descent of the river and the volume of water (100,000 cubic feet per second). The descent is 52 feet in less than 1.2 miles. The rapids generated here are amongst the wildest, formidable and most dangerous in the world. The Whirlpool Rapids are rated class 6.

No we didn’t shoot them, we turned around and went back and did Devils Hole a few more times!  You know how sometimes you pay your money and go on an excursion only to be disappointed at what you got for the price?  In this case, we all agreed that the cost was well worth the trip, we had an absolute blast! The group of people we went with were so much fun, Cliff and Nancy, a really great couple from NJ, joined Lorrie and Greg and I.  Martin, Donna and my best little girl friends rounded out the group. 

The next day was a free day as well and I decided I was going to wash my RV. It was so dirty I was embarrassed to be seen near it.  Fortunately, I woke to the sound of rain, so I thought I was off the hook.  Since we were in Canada, it was way too expensive to call anyone, so I emailed Lorrie and Greg to come over and watch the latest episode of Dexter (on Showtime).  He’s a fan, we caught her up on all 8 seasons in about 10 min.  He’s a blood spatter expert for the Miami Metro PD, his sister is the Lt of Homicide.  Oh, he’s a serial killer who only kills other killers, mostly.  That’s the code his father taught him, also a cop.  Last season his sister, who had no idea of his double life, caught him in the act and at the end of the season had to kill their caption to save her brother.  This season she’s a drug addict suffering from PTSD who told Dexter she shot the wrong person.  It’s the final season.  Sadly, my friends didn’t check email till much later in the morning.  With nothing left to do, I spent the morning cleaning and reorganizing everything inside my RV.  Later in the  morning I went outside, but it was still too wet to get on the roof to wash the RV, so I thought I might as well tackle the storage compartment. By now it had stopped raining and people were out walking around.  One by one people stopped by to see what I was doing.  Lorrie, Greg, Bev and Ron came over and were so entertained, they pulled up chairs.  Others came over and joined them and I soon had a rotating audience. I must say, it made the task a lot slower, but much more enjoyable.  By early afternoon the sun had come out, the roof dried up and I had no excuse not to wash the RV.  I tried to recruit my new friends as well as most of the passerby’s, but oddly enough, I had no takers.  Oh they were all about watching, but not so much participating apparently.  No worries, I don’t need no stinkin help! 

While I busied myself getting my tools ready, my ‘buddies’ actually moved their chairs under the tree, so they could get the best possible view in the most possible shade, because by now it was really hot!  In all fairness, the girls did help me get the bucket, tools and hose up on the roof.  By passing them up, not by climbing mind you.  Iggy brought out the video camera while Lorrie was in charge of still photos.  I had no idea how entertaining this could be, I should have charged admission… I will admit, after awhile, some of them did pitch in.  Iggy and Greg did a great job washing the awning, it’s now pearly white!

Being at the rally where the focus was on our RVs was really fun.  It was good to meet other people with the same interest.  At one point we all walked around and checked out each other’s storage compartments, hookup systems, trailer hitches, car towing etc.  We compared notes on just about everything having to do with how the RV’s work.  It was very educational and I learned a lot.  So much so that on my way from Ontario to my next stop in Vermont, I spent another night at the same friendly Camping World.  The next morning I went looking for the grease I just found out I needed for the wheel bearings on my trailer tires. The service guy handed me a cartridge, saying “put this in your pocket, you didn’t get it from me”.  Apparently they don’t actually sell the stuff but they have a supply for when they do the job.  He showed me the dry silicone to keep the slide tracks lubricated, the spray to keep the side seals from drying out and the silicon to properly seal a seam that keeps cracking.  I’m all ready now.  Maybe I’ll actually get around to doing all this stuff, but not today.  I like projects, as long as I don’t have to actually DO them…  Next stop Andover Vermont.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020