Springfield MO - Care-A-Vanner rally

I admit it, I'm less than enthusiastic about keeping up my blog.  It kinda lost its appeal a while ago, but I will keep it up because I know at least a few people read it consistently.  Also, I know after my travels, this will be a far better record of my adventure than just my memory.  So, I'll try to be more timely with my posts, if only so I can remember what I did.

I had been looking forward to the Habitat RV Care-A-Vanner rally in Springfield MO for quite some time.  I've worked with, and become friends with, so many great people over the years, and many of them were attending the rally.  Also, I had heard about so many others and couldn't wait to meet them.  I was not disappointed, I had an awesome time!  I think there were about 200 people there and we were broken up into 8 teams.  Each team rotated among 8 different houses.  We had one new build, the rest were rehabs or a Brush with Kindness (ABWK)  ABWK houses are homes that just need minor work, such as new siding, yard work, new handicap ramp, painting etc and we did all of that.  The two rehabs were more extensive, we tore up the floors and replaced some of the drywall. I worked on all of the homes as a team member, but as a OSHA safety trainer, I also taught 3 classes and acted as a safety monitor for other teams, so I think I got to work with almost everyone there in some capacity.  The affiliate could not have been better to work with!  The construction team floated between the houses, so they were in constant motion making sure we had every thing we needed.  Also on hand were 2 media guys who were joined by a 3rd one the last few days.  These guys were everywhere and must have had hundreds of hours of video and still pictures to edit.  They also did an interview with me and with another couple on what its like to be a CAV. I've worked with Diane and George a few times and just love them.  When we worked in Indiana, we were both interviewed for 2 local news channels, so it was kind of funny that of all the people they chose the both of us again. 

The media guys came over to my 5th wheel and got everything set up.  It was really weird talking to them because they would both ask me questions, but I couldn't look at either of them, just at the camera.  I was trying to be serious and thoughtful when they stopped and asked me if I was having fun.  Apparently they wanted me to have a big stupid grin on my face the whole time.   I did my best, but it seemed very unnatural.  They were only shooting me from the waist up so they let me hold Beefcake the whole time.  Otherwise he would have been pacing back and forth and being very distracting.  At some point he fell asleep and they heard him snoring thru my mike.  I had to keep waking him up because he's a very loud snorer.  I would love to have access to some of those pictures, but I never could really pin them down on where they were going. 

7 of the 8 house were in the same neighborhood.  One family we worked with was especially touching.  Their house was painted pink with home made signs in all the windows saying "thank you"and "we love you."  Gypsy Rose is a young girl of about 14, she is the one who made the signs.  She was in a wheel chair, paralyzed from the waist down and had leukemia.  I have never met a more kind and loving child!  Her mom cooked for all the volunteers a few times and all anyone could talk about was Gypse Rose and her family.  Everyone adored them, but their story is even more remarkable.  They were originally from New Orleans and had survived Hurricane Katrina.  They lost everything and relocated to Springfield MO.  Around that time 7 year old Gypsy Rose painted a picture of her dream house.  At some later time, they got a Habitat House.  During the really, they were part of A Brush With Kindness to spruce up that house.  We repainted the house pink and repaired the wheel chair ramp.  We did a huge rededication ceremony when we were done, the point of which was to hang a Fleur-de-Lis over the front porch, to symbolize their Louisiana roots.  Here come the truly amazing part.  Gypsy Rose brought out the painting she did all those years ago.  It was an EXACT rendition of the current house. 






When we were not building, we were busy socializing with everyone.  My team was totally awesome and we had the best team leaders I've worked with in a long time.  They made sure we were prepared for each days events and did a great job as social directors to make sure happy hour and our group dinner were a big success.  I really liked them and everyone on my team, I hope to work with them all again soon. 

As fun as the rally was, the two weeks were over all too soon.  Time to pack up and head to Arkansas where I'll be a water safety volunteer for the Army Corp of Engineers.

Link to Rally Pictures: 
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118205599704530902363/albums/6007903001480793457?authkey=CKaHp4-30Mq-Pg
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020