Northern Italy

A week after I got back from Barcelona I moved to a bigger apartment.  While I loved my last place, and especially my landlady, it was time to find something bigger.  And OMG is this place bigger!  It has 3 bedrooms, it's closer to the waterfront, and there is a large kitchen with a formal dining room.  The master bedroom alone is probably bigger than my last apartment.  It's very light and airy, with large windows in each room.  There is usually enough of a breeze that I have to prop the doors open or they slam shut.  I don't have air conditioning, which is the only disappointing thing.  The reality is, I only need it for two to three months out of the year, so it's not that big of a problem.  It is possible to get a portable AC unit, so I may try to get one for next year.   
The move itself went very smooth.  I had more stuff then I thought; oh my how it accumulates.  I had 2 people helping me and I ended up using a cab company.  The two places are a few blocks apart and I initially thought about just loading everything in rolling suitcases and each of us wheeling something over. When I saw how much it was however, I knew that wouldn't work.  So, I called the cab company and asked for a van.  The driver went way out of his way and helped us load everything.  The 3 of us carried boxes out and he stacked it all in the van.  When we were finished it only cost me €15 or about $18.  I tried to give him a €10 tip, but he wouldn't take it.  Can you believe it?  I did get him to accept €5, but he still thought that was too much.  
Once I got settled in, it was time for a house warming party and what a great party!  I had a full house, with people spilling onto my tiny balcony.  It was a house warming in every sense of the word too; it was hot!  People had sweat running down their faces and almost everyone had a wet shirt.  I couldn't believe how long my friends stayed!  Most stuck it out till about 10 pm with a few brave souls even hanging in there till midnight.  It really made me appreciate how many great friends I've made in such a short time here.  I also started game night once a week.  That too has been a lot of fun.  I am so happy I finally have room to entertain! 

I've been trying to learn a little Danish because my boyfriend is from Denmark.  It's hard and I've only learned about 100 phrases.  The problem when I speak to other Danish speakers, is they actually answer in Danish!  I haven't learned the responses to my phrases just yet.  Oh well, it's a long process LOL.  I am lucky enough to have several friends who I can practice with, but everyone generally speaks English because no matter where they are from, that's the common language.  When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed in Germany from 1984 to 1987.  During that time I spoke great German and I still remember a bit even though I haven't spoken it in many years.  There are many German speakers here, and unlike most of my friends, they do tend to speak German to each other even if no one around them understands.  I had decided when I first got here that I was going to re - learn German and I have made some half hearted attempts, but I have now decided to get serious and actually take classes.  I start in October.  German is the 2nd most spoken language in Europe and as I said, there are a lot more German speakers to practice with.  I feel like I have to learn German if only in self defense, so I know what those around me are saying.  Lucky for me, Mic speaks some German too.  I told him it should be so exciting for him, to try and figure out if I'm slaughtering Danish or German.

I have continued to try and lead a more healthy life style and have lost almost 30 lbs.  Of course walking everywhere helps, but I also joined a gym and try to go at least a few times a week.  During the summer, I lost all motivation to walk anywhere because of the heat and humidity.  It's finally cooled off enough to venture outside, so I may have to take up walking again.  My gym has an indoor pool and spa area, so that should be nice for when the weather actually turns cold.  
Mic and I decided to go to northern Italy for our next trip.  On the fight, there was an announcement that peanuts would not be served because there was someone on board with a severe peanut allergy.  I can understand the person sitting right next them not eating peanuts, but the entire plane?  When the flight attendant came by, I asked if I could have our peanuts for later.  He said no, especially since the person was sitting right next to me.  When I looked over at him, he had a look of absolute horror on his face.  I told them both, I meant after we left the plane.  No joy, they wouldn’t give me the peanuts.  I think we should have gotten a refund on our plane ticket for our inconvenience.  Although to be fair, planes in the US never serve peanuts for the same reason.

We flew into Milan, took a bus to the central station, then took the train to our destination - San Remo.  It was a long day and we got there around 9:30 in the evening.  Mic lived in a nearby town a few years ago and was excited to show me his old haunts.  Unfortunately he was not familiar with the area of San Remo where our hotel was, so we took the very scenic route, dragging our bags behind us the whole way.  Up and down the narrow little streets we trudged with our obedient little carry-ons right behind us.  Of course all the people sitting at the cafes watched us go by.  At one point we walked down this narrow street, past the many watching eyes.  At some point we realized we took a wrong turn and needed to go back.  I said no way are we walking that particular gauntlet again.  We decided to go around the block instead and we were so glad we did because we found the most beautiful Russian church tucked away down a side street.  It was top on our list to go back to in the morning. 

The hotel was small but very friendly.  It was simple, nothing like the super nice one we had in Barcelona, but we were only there for 2 nights.  Although it was late, we wanted some dinner, so we headed out to find something still open.  We found a little pizza place who said they closed in 30 min, but it was enough time to serve us.  I didn't want a big meal right before bed, so we thought we would split a pizza.  Oh no, they said, we each had to order one.  Uh OK.  The two waiters and the owner were watching a soccer game and seemed in no hurry, so I guess the 30 min deadline they gave us would not be enforced.  They brought the pizzas out and we dug in.  About half way through, I bit into something hard.  Turns out it was the twist tie from the cheese, baked into my pizza.  The owners reaction?  Yea, that's a twist tie from the cheese, here's you bill. 
 
All through dinner, these men walking around selling roses approached us.  Most asked if we wanted one, we said no thank you and they left. Some were more persistent.  One just stood there looking at us, long after we said no.  Eventually he gave me three and said it's a gift.  I said thank you and kept on eating.  He kept standing there.  I gave him one euro and he took two of them back.  Some gift LOL.  This was a problem at every meal on this trip.  It was so annoying to be constantly interrupted.  One got really aggressive, and I got really rude.  Eventually our waitress chased him off, but I wondered why restaurants allowed them to bother the patrons.  It really made me not want to eat at the cafes in the city centers.

We went down to breakfast the next morning and I was offered coffee, but said no thank you.  (I hate coffee)  He then offered me tea.  Again, I said no thank you.  He seemed genuinely perplexed.  He offered me several varieties of each, but I still said no.  Apparently it was so unusual that the other people eating breakfast began talking to him, in Italian of course.  It was clear they were talking about me.  If they were this upset at me for not drinking coffee or tea, I wonder what they would have done if they saw me drinking soda for breakfast.  Too bad they didn't have any.  The hotel had a mascot, a very friendly little rabbit.  Rabbit is a common meal in Malta so of course one of the first comments to my Face Book post was how yummy he looked.  He must have been pretty happy there because all the doors were wide open, he could have left at any time. 
We rented 2 bicycles for the day and headed to the Russian church first.  This beautiful structure was erected in 1912 as a legacy of the Russian Empress Maria Alexandrovna. The Russian nobles of the 19th century used to vacation here.  After some quick pictures, we rode 10 miles to Ventimiglia, right on the French border.  It was a quaint little town with a great market that had fresh fruit, flowers, household goods, clothes, purses, watches, and all kind of things.  Mic showed me where his apartment was and all the places he used to hang out.  He wanted to have lunch at his favorite restaurant, and I must admit it was really good.  It was a Chinese buffet with a very nice sushi bar.  The food was really, really good and we stuffed ourselves.  After lunch, we hopped a train to Menton, France on the French Rivera.  (Pronounced like Montauk, NY)  By mid afternoon, we were so sleepy from our bike ride and huge lunch that we decided to take a nap on the beach.  It was a perfect day; there was a nice breeze, it was an actual beach with sand, (OK pebbles) and some very nice shade.  It was windy enough that we could hear crashing waves too.  Soon enough we were both snoring away.  Literally, we both started snoring as soon as our heads hit the ground.  We were woken up by a screaming child; such a treat, but the short snooze did us good.  After wandering around a bit we hopped a train back to Ventimiglia.  As we crossed the boarder back into Italy we saw the Italian police boarding the train en mass.  They were looking for illegal immigrants trying to sneak across the boarder.  There seemed to be a small migrant camp in an abandoned hospital near the train station.  There were plenty of people just sitting around, but they didn't seem to be bothering anyone.  They appeared to be from northern Africa, like the ones we get in Malta, and not Eastern Europe or Syria like you see in other parts of Europe.   
The bike ride back to San Remo was much nicer.  During the ride there, we rode on a busy highway.  Coming back, we found a nice bike path.  We stopped for dinner and I had tortellini with a cream sauce.  I like to add some red sauce so it's not quite so rich.  Apparently, this really puts people off and the waiter looked at me like I had two heads, much like they did at breakfast LOL.  I had a similar experience each time I ordered pasta.  They sure are judgmental in this neck of the woods! 
 The next morning we hopped a train to Genoa.  This did not make my list of favorite places, it was much too industrial.  Once in Genoa, Mic and I split up.  He went to a convention for work and I rented a car and drove down to an army base, Camp Darby.  I was pretty excited to be driving again, it had been almost a year.  Even better, it was a stick shift.  I was looking forward to the drive along the coast, I was told it was very beautiful.  Unfortunately, most of the drive was through tunnels.  Once there, I was further disappointed by the size of the base.  It was very small and looked almost deserted.  I was looking forward to shopping at an American store, especially one where I didn't have to pay the 18% VAT tax.  The store was tiny, and sadly as soon as I entered, they announced the store would be closing in 15 minutes.  Luckily (sadly) that's exactly how long it took me to go through.  I had much better luck at the grocery store where I had fun getting some food I had missed.  Mic really likes black licorice so I got him 3 packs.  I also got the fixings for a Thanksgiving dinner I'm hosting for my friends.  Of course I had to get some Mt Dew which we don't have at all in Malta.  I also got a few root beers, so I could make some root beer floats at home.  I made coke floats a few weeks ago and people liked them.  I told them the root beer floats were even tastier.  The drive back was much better as I sucked down my junk food and soda.  At dinner, yes I saved some room, I was again scorned because I asked for red sauce to mix in with my carbonara, but it was really good so I didn't care.  The flower peddlers didn't seem as aggressive here.
After a quick breakfast the next morning, we headed out to return the rental car.  We had to fill the car with gas; no problem.  How hard can that be?  Turns out, harder than we thought!  All the stations were un attended, the first one we couldn’t figure out how to pay, there was no credit card scanner on the pump.  Another car pulled up, the driver looked around just like we were and got back in her car and left.   At the 2nd station we eventually spotted a single pay machine for all the pumps.  It was in Italian of course and not easy to figure out.   We tried a few times, but couldn't get the pump activated.  We looked around and saw people at another station across the street and those pumps seemed to be working, so off we went again.  Eventually we figured out that one problem was it wanted a pin.  My credit card doesn't have the chip that European cards have, so I have no pin.  OK, now were getting someplace.  But sadly, not much farther, it didn't like Mic's card either.  Eventually a friendly Italian guy came up and tried to help.  He couldn't figure out how to activate the pump either but the 3 of us agreed it may be the pump.  We knew his pump worked, so as soon as he left, I moved over to his pump and viola, it worked!  Well, that only took an hour out of my life! 
When I looked at the paperwork for my rental car, I noticed I was overcharged for the insurance.   I asked about it at the rental desk and he said part of it was damage insurance and part was theft insurance and something about a deductible.    Regardless of the reason, when I rented the car, I had a guaranteed price that said no hidden charges.  I guess I'm writing a letter to Avis because the hidden charges almost doubled the price of the car.  The day didn't get any better as we missed our stop on the shuttle back to the city center and got to see the same route in reverse.  We found a great little Chinese place for lunch.  Not as good as the one a few days before, but pretty good.  I didn't care for the pizza we had eaten so far and I was getting tired of pasta so the Chinese was quite tasty. 
After lunch we went to Via Garibaldi, it's a central street in the historical district dating back to 1550.  Since July 2006 Via Garibaldi has been inscribed in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites as part of the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli and Strade Nuove del Centro Storico of Genoa.  There were magnificent palaces on either side of the street and the narrow street itself was quite pretty.  There were beautiful gardens and frescoes painted on the side of the buildings.  The surrounding streets and alleys were pretty narrow and not very note worthy.  All over the city, we saw graffiti on every available space and it made the area look really seedy.  I noticed it in San Remo as well, but not as much.  Some of it may have been 'street art' but most looked like spray painted names and initials. 
We ended up wandering around and got completely turned around.  Unlike Barcelona, these alleys didn't have anything to see.  There were no shops, just apartments.  Eventually we found our way back to where we started, near a large aquarium and decided to go check it out.   It had several nice fish exhibits and a pool where you could touch some small rays.  Most of them seemed to be resting, but one little guy was quite active.  He was swimming along the top of the water with his head out, looking around.  He swam a few laps like that then upped the ante and got about 50% of his body out of the water, kind of skimming the surface vertically.  I'm not sure what he was doing, but it looked pretty crazy.  Just as I got my camera out he quit and went to the bottom and apparently went to sleep.  Just my luck!  The next exhibit was a group of dolphins.  Of course they were pretty entertaining, but one thing I had never seen before was them blowing bubbles from their air holes.  They formed perfect rings which they would watch rise, then they would swim up and pop them.  I thought this was some unique thing these particular dolphins did to entertain themselves, but a quick google search shows that it's pretty common.   Well, neither Mic nor I had heard of it, so we spent quite an enjoyable afternoon watching them play.
The next morning we were back on a train, this time to Milan.  We arrived at the train station in plenty of time and I got to do some serious people watching.  One interesting sight was a lady walking a dog.  Dogs are allowed on the train and in the station, and are not an uncommon sight.  This was a border collie mix and while his mom may have had him on a leash, he was the one in charge.  He was holding his leash in his mouth and leading her around.  I'm guessing they were regulars and visited the station all the time as he seemed to know where he was going.  There was also an older man, who put his (presumably) granddaughter on top of his carry on bag and was wheeling her around.  You could see this coming from a mile away, but he was going too fast and the little girl was too far forward and soon enough, both toppled over.  The man did an almost perfect tuck and roll, but the little girl fell flat on her face.  She was unhurt and apparently though the whole thing was pretty funny because she laughed and laughed! 
Our train finally arrived and we made our way to our car.  We got behind a couple with a lot of luggage.  I'm talking 6 or 8 bags at least.  Sadly, they were in our car and their luggage was everywhere.  Mic helped them get the bigger ones up on the racks and the rest were lined up in the very narrow corridor.  When they sat down, we realized there weren't 2 but 3 of them and too many people in the car.  A quick check of the tickets revealed they were not only in the wrong seat, but in the wrong car all together.  It probably took the 3 of them a good 30 minutes to move all their luggage 2 cars down to their right seat.  I felt bad for them, we had done the same thing on an earlier trip. 
Our hotel was very nice and after checking in, we made our way to the city center and the beautiful Milan Cathedral or Duomo di Milano.  The Gothic cathedral took nearly six centuries to complete, beginning in 1386.  It was the 5th-largest church in the world and the second largest in Italy.  The cathedral was undergoing renovation and I was sickened to see huge flashing billboards hanging from the sides.  It seemed sacrilegious, not to mention a gross display of greed.  At least the front of the cathedral had no billboards, so we did manage to get some great pictures.  We were there right at sunset and the light was perfect.  There were Italian military guards at the entrance and they had these little caps with feathers sticking out of them, they reminded me of Robin Hood.   Not a very fierce looking group. 

In the morning we had a fantastic breakfast buffet, including a row of homemade cakes and pies.    Mic and I had previously gotten into a conversation about taking food from a buffet.  I agree at a regular restaurant, you are not allowed to take food home, but at a hotel breakfast bar it is acceptable and something you see people do all the time.  In fact, I've had the hotel staff give me a fresh napkin.  I'm talking about a piece of fruit or maybe a muffin for later.  Mic is all too happy to enjoy said fruit or muffin that I nick, but he would never dream of doing it for fear of being caught.   We revisited this conversation when he pointed out a sign that said do not take food out of the restaurant.  Well, this is the first such sign I ever saw at a hotel breakfast bar.  Needless to say, there were no goodies for him later that day LOL. 
Our final day in Milan was cold, dreary and rainy.  We walked around doing some window shopping, but we just weren't feeling it, so we headed to the airport.  We got there early enough to have a nice lunch.  Just as we were finished eating, Mic heard us being paged.  It couldn't be, since we had about 15 more minutes before boarding.  We paid up and hurried to the gate, only to find no one there.  Seems they had actually boarded early, who knew?  It was especially unusual for the Maltese to do anything early.  Well, we were the last on the flight and sitting in the very back, so we had to walk past every glaring eye on the flight.  As the Maltese say, Mela!
 
Link to Pictures
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020