Rome

I was excited to visit Rome again, if for no other reason than to see if my memory of being there in the 80's matched what it was like today.  The first day we decided to go to the US Navy base in Naples.  I wanted to show Mic, who is Danish, what a US base is like and of course, to shop at the commissary and BX.  We bought the tickets the night before and the agent spent a bit of time finding us both the morning and evening high speed trains, about an hour each way.  The regular train was just over 2.5 hours.  We had to be in Naples at a certain time to catch the military shuttle to the base, so we got up at the crack of dawn and headed out.  Once at the central station in Rome, we looked on the board, but couldn't find our train.  We finally asked an agent who told us that train left an hour ago.  How stupid could we be, we both looked at the ticket which clearly said departure 0730 AM.  It was now 0830 AM.  I'm not sure how we got that wrong, but we did.  The tickets were a half price special and non changeable or refundable.  We decided to just hop on the next train and play stupid tourists if we got caught with the wrong ticket.  About half way into our trip, the ticket agent came along.  She look at it for quite a while before telling us we were on the wrong train.  We said we missed our original train.  She said no problem, but you paid extra for the high speed one.  Well, what can you do?  She nodded and handed us back our ticket.   

Eventually we made our way to the shuttle location, but we had plenty of time to kill until the next bus.  There are two sites in Naples, one is near the airport and the other is 45 min away.  At the airport site, there is a small store called the shoppette which is like a convenience store, but bigger.  We perused around for a while then headed to the food court for lunch.  Mic wanted to try a Philly cheese steak and I didn't care what I ate, as long as it came with a diet Mt Dew.  The Dew of course was delicious, the sandwich not so much.  Mic asked if that was really a Philly cheese steak and I said no, not really.  I'll have to make him a real one at home.  It was nice for me being on a base again.  Although I'm retired and love it, there is so much I miss about the military and just being around them makes me a bit nostalgic.  Eventual the shuttle came and the real shopping began.  I had a list of things I wanted and we made our way thru the BX first.  The BX is basically a department store, with clothes, electronics and home goods.  One thing I was looking for was a Pyrex measuring cup, with both metric and imperial markings.  I've gone through two so far in Malta.  They were plastic and the markings faded very quickly.   We found the measuring cup, right next to a red nested cup system.  (1/4 cup inside the 1/3 cup...) The funny thing was, the glass cup looked so much bigger than the red cup.  In fact, the red one fit entirely in the Pyrex one.  We kept thinking they both have to be 1 cup, right?  Of course, the Pyrex had quite a bit of space above the marking, but it just looked so off.  We decided to put both in the cart, find a water fountain and conduct a little experiment.  Logically, we knew they were both 1 cup, but optically it looked impossible.  We wandered around for a bit longer and made our way to the checkout, forgetting all about the water fountain.  When I saw I still had both cups, we laughed and told the checkout girl what we were thinking.  She looked at us like we were crazy.  She said do you really think they would make a measuring cup that wasn't a cup?  No sense of humor that girl.  

Our next stop was the commissary, which is the grocery store.  That is a bit more fun for me because there is so much food I miss that you can't get in Malta.  While they certainly have more than enough variety of foods here, you just miss things from home, like Mac and Cheese, graham crackers (for cheese cake), sun chips, crystal light, and Miracle Whip just to name a few.  After shopping we headed to the food court for something to drink.  They had a Taco Bell and Mic had never eaten there.  We were pretty full from lunch, but decided we had room to share something.  I wanted him to try the crunch wrap and of course he liked it.  They do have fast food in Malta, called pastizza shops.  They are basically tiny shops with all the food in the front glass counter.  Pastizzi are usually diamond-shaped or round-shaped and made of filo pastry. The pastry is folded in different ways according to the filling, the traditional ones being ricotta or mushy peas.  They also sell pizza slices and other savory pastries, kind of a pop over.  I like the one with hamburger and onion, but they normally have too much pastry and not enough filling for my taste.  We also have McDonald’s, Burger King, Pizza Hut and KFC.  We also have many kabob shops where you get some awesome wraps and kabobs.  Other options are the small cafes on nearly every street, especially here in Sliema.  While they are quite popular for meeting friends for coffee, they also serve simple lunches like salad, sandwiches and wraps.  Mic did get a little thrill from being on American soil for the day and our friends were certainly scratching their heads when we posted something on FB about spending the day in America.
We made it back to Naples 2 hours before our train time.  We checked our bags at the station and wandered around a bit.  I was in Naples at Christmas last year and had my cell phone stolen 5 minutes after getting off the train.  Believe me, this time I kept my bag clutched tight!  We initially wanted to get some pizza because, well Naples is supposed to be the birthplace of pizza and it was fantastic!  So much so that I had it for dinner every night when I was here before.   We were too full from eating all day, so we had to skip the pizza, but we did see some pastries we couldn't pass up.  We got a bag and added it to our growing stash.  It feels like we do little but eat every time we leave Malta, but I guess that's part of traveling.    We made it back to Rome exhausted, and slept for 12 hours straight.  After 2 late nights and 2 very early mornings, apparently we desperately needed it. 


We spent Friday going to vinyl record shops for Mic.  He buys and sells collectable vinyl records, mostly classic rock, his favorite genre.  http://www.groovusmaximus.com I'm slowly converting him to country music.  OK not really, but at least he stopped crying when I play it.  I decided to tag along with him, thinking I would shop at interesting stores nearby.  Well, it was a dismal day for both of us.  We saw some of the more seedy parts of Rome.  Many of the shops we found were closed and the ones that were open had nothing nearby of interest for me, and nothing inside of interest for him.  I did get my 10,000 steps in, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.  Actually, two good things came out of it.  Mid morning we found a shop that was open, next door to a coffee shop.  I thought I would enjoy a nice cup of tea while I waited.  I was delighted when the waiter brought me a lovely little tea set complete with a sugar bowl with rock sugar.   I admit, I enjoyed it much more just because it was all so pretty. 
 
Much later in the day, we found ourselves near the Colosseum.  We took a break from shopping to go check it out.  We were quite disappointed to see one entire side covered in scaffolding but we were still able to get some great pictures.  The line to get in was way too long, so we didn't go in.  We were getting hungry so we decided to grab an early dinner.  We basically picked one of the many nearby restaurants (Binario 4) at random and went in.  It was probably the best calzone I ever had and Mic was delighted with his pizza.  When the chef passed us, we told him how pleased we were.  I never put reviews on Trip Adviser but this place was just too good not to leave a positive comment.  I was shocked when I saw all the bad reviews they had received.  They were slammed for both bad service and bad food.  We had excellent service from the moment we walked in.  Our order was taken and the food delivered very quickly despite being fairly busy.  The chef brought us a sample from a pasta dish he had just made and he stopped to chat with us.  They brought me ice for a drink I brought with me and even charged my cell phone while we ate.  Maybe they read and learned from the previous bad reviews, but we were so impressed I texted some friends who were coming to Rome the following week.  They also had a great experience.  In looking at Trip Adviser, I see they have another bad review the following week, so who knows, maybe we just lucked out.
On day 3 we took the hop on hop off bus tour.  We stayed on the bus for the full 1.5 hour trip, then went around again and got off the places we wanted to see.  First up was the Vatican.  The line was unbelievable!  There were many people selling 'skip the line' tickets, but the cost was about €40.  Not worth it we decided.  We roamed around the Vatican grounds then went to the post office.  You can send a post card with a Vatican stamp and postmark, which we did.  Mic to his Mom and me to Sylvia.  We stopped at a cafe for lunch and saw the typical roaming street vendors we've seen all over Italy.  They were selling selfie sticks, string bracelets, purses and the like.  This time, we saw something different.  A man walked up and started playing the violin. When he was done, he took off his cap and went around the cafe, sticking it in front of each and every person there.  I really don't mind the vendors selling things. They're just trying to make a living and I have much more respect for them then the numerous beggars we saw.  Especially the 20 something man we saw changing places with (presumably) his mother on some church steps.  What I find annoying is how aggressive they are.  I'm surprised the restaurants don't chase them away, because that's where they seem be the worst.  You're trying to enjoy a nice meal and you have an endless parade of aggressive men all but demanding that you buy something from them.  Admittedly, they weren't as bad in Rome as some of the other places we've visited. 
 Our next stop was the Spanish Steps.  Just our luck, it was under renovation and there were fences all around it.  Well, that was sad.  On to the McDonalds.  When I think of Rome, I remember the trip my Mom and I took around 1986 when I was stationed in Germany.  We visited the Vatican, the Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain; all the big tourist places.  Don't get me wrong, they were magnificent, but then I expected them to be.  What left a lasting impression on me, for some reason, was the McDonalds.  What I remember was walking down a long marble corridor with huge columns and Roman statues along the way.  Once inside, the place was vast!  (Google says it could seat 450 and was the target of massive protests saying it would ruin Rome. Also huge lines, as Italians gathered, en mass, to eat there).  Right in the middle was a huge square of glass cases with very un McDonald like fare, including ostrich and quail eggs.  I don't remember the other food items, but it was 'weird' stuff I had never heard of and would certainly never try. At least the young 24 year old me thought so at the time.  Mic and I found the right place after being sent on a wild goose chase by a sign pointing us in the wrong direction.  Well, today it looks like any other McDonalds, just a whole lot bigger.  There wasn't a long marble corridor with columns and statues, but there were two shorter marble hallways.  It was still the most elegant fast food chain I've ever seen.  And no, we did not eat there. 
Next stop was Trevi Fountain, also under renovation.  We were striking out all around!  There was one hole in the fence, right in front of the fountain, but you could still see the scaffolding.  I stood in line with everyone else and stuck my cell phone through and got a fairly decent picture.  I understand that these treasures need to be maintained and renovated, but all of them, the week we're there!?   Have you ever seen the stupid Trip Adviser reviews?  People honestly write bad reviews like, "Our holiday to the North Pole in January was ruined because of snow".  http://www.101holidays.co.uk/news/opinion/5-types-bizarre-reviews-tripadvisor.  All day, we kept laughing that Trip Adviser is going to hear about this!  While there were plenty of great sights to see and we had a wonderful time, I admit to being just a little disappointed that the specific ones we were especially looking forward to, were the ones closed.  We can't really complain though, we're close enough to go back when ever we want.
Day 4 we split up because Mic wanted to go to a giant flea market and I wanted to see more sights.  I headed back to the Colosseum, hoping the lines were shorter.  They were not, it was still a 2+ hour wait.  I was more interested in the Roman Forum, just across the street.  The site, which was originally an Etruscan burial ground, was first developed in the 7th century BC, and was the central area of the city around which ancient Rome developed. This was where commerce, business, prostitution, cult and the administration of justice took place.  For centuries, the Forum Romanum was the site of the city's most important public buildings, such as the Arch of Septimius Severus, built in AD203 and the Roman Forum Rostra or platforms for public speeches. The Roman Forum became the spectacular showcase of the Roman Empire filled with beautiful statues and architecture.  The main sight of the Forum include the Arch of Titus (Arco di Tito), the Temple of Saturn, Temple of Vesta, and the church of San Luca e Martina.  It was very interesting wandering around these ruins because they were intact enough to get an idea of what it was like, back in the day.
I spent the rest of the day going down the list of places I wanted to see.  La Bocca della Verità (English: the Mouth of Truth) is an image, carved from Pavonazzo marble, of a man-like face, located in the portico of the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin. The sculpture is thought to be part of a first-century ancient Roman fountain, or perhaps a manhole cover, portraying one of several possible pagan gods, probably Oceanus. Most Romans believe that the 'Bocca' represents the ancient god of the river Tiber.  The most famous characteristic of the Mouth, however, is its role as a lie detector. Starting from the Middle Ages, it was believed that if one told a lie with one's hand in the mouth of the sculpture, it would be bitten off.
My next stop was known as "the hole of Rome".   Villa del Priorato di Malta, is home to the Grand Priory in Rome of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, an order of chivalry, which remains a sovereign entity.  Originally, the area was the site of a fortified Palace belonging to Alberico II.  In the Twelfth Century, it passed into the hands of the Knights Templar, the famous warrior monks, who in 1312, were violently suppressed by Pope Clement V.  Why this is a tourist attraction is the view from the large impressive wooden door to the Villa.  Or rather, the view from the key hole in the door.  No key is required; it is sufficient to put your eye to the keyhole, and focus. On a clear day, you get a perfect view of St Peter's dome, framed by the tops of trees in the foreground.  It seems to stand at the end of the garden path, just beyond the door.  While I could see the dome, and the view was as amazing as described, I couldn’t get a good picture, so I copied a Google image to show. 
I spent the rest of the day roaming around taking pictures of various fountains, statues and buildings. Around dinner time, Mic and I met up for some more great pasta.  We were waiting for it to get dark so we could go back to the Colosseum for some night time pictures.  I had scouted some places earlier where I thought we could get a good shot and wow the pictures turned out great!  I can't say enough about the incredible photos my Galaxy 5 cell phone takes! 
 
Eventually we made our way back to the B&B and settled up with them before our early morning departure.  They said they would need the tax money in cash.  I thought that sounded fishy, they already had my credit card, why did I have to pay cash?  A quick Google check revealed he was right.  Italy required the tourist tax of  €3.50 per person, per night to be paid in cash.  I'm not sure why this wasn't done in the other places we had been, but the more shocking information was that the tourist tax was about to be raised to  €10 per person, per night.  That's insane! 
Time to head home and plan our next trip to Bologna.  For more pictures, please click on the link below.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020