Amsterdam

It's finally time to go to Amsterdam.  I've been looking forward to this trip because I lived in Holland in the late 80's.  Last year I was going to move to either Holland or Belgium, but since the move was in November, I thought about how cold it would be.  I opted to start my adventure in a warmer climate, so I came to Malta instead.  Living in that area is most certainly still on my to do list.  I checked the weather forecast and it looked chilly, so I brought a jacket.   Sadly, I should have brought a parka because it was cold, windy and rainy the whole week! 
We landed and hopped on the train.  The train station was attached to the airport, so it was by far the easiest transport we've had.  We were talking about what we were going to do after checking into our hotel when a man 2 seats up turned around and glared at us.  We looked at him like WTF?  He then looked up at the silence sticker on the window.  Apparently we were in the silent car, and oh man did they adhere to it.  When the train stopped, several people whispered to us that we could talk in the next car.  Good to know.
We headed to the city center to get the I Amsterdam pass.  It's one of those city passes where you pay €70 and you get access to various tourist attractions like museums and the canal cruise as well as unlimited use of most public transportation.  Some of the places I saw included the Van Gogh, Rembrandt , Ann Frank, and De Nieuwe Kerk museums.  I also visited a canal house, 2 photography museums, a church in an attic and a house boat. Normally I wouldn't have spent so much inside, but like I said before, it was very cold and rainy.  I just added up what it would have cost had I paid for each attraction and it was €129.  I guess it was a good bargain then!  https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/i-am/i-amsterdam-city-card
I'm sure most people know the basic story of Ann Frank.  She was a 13 year old German Jew.  The Frank family moved from Germany to Amsterdam in 1933 when the Nazis gained control over Germany. By May 1940, they were trapped in Amsterdam by the German occupation of the Netherlands. As persecutions of the Jewish population increased in July 1942, the family went into hiding in some concealed rooms behind a bookcase in the building where Ann's father worked. On 13 July 1942, the Franks were joined by the van Pels family: Hermann, Auguste, and 16-year-old Peter, and then in November by Fritz Pfeffer, a dentist and friend of the family.  In early August 1944, the group was betrayed and transported to concentration camps. Ann and her sister Margot were eventually transferred to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where they died (probably of typhus) in February or March 1945, just weeks before the camp was liberated in April.  Otto Frank, the only survivor of the family, returned to Amsterdam after the war to find that Ann's diary had been saved by one of the helpers, Miep Gies, and his efforts led to it's publication in 1947.   
I had been to the Ann Frank house before, and it was pretty much as I had remembered it.  Walking around in the house, it was hard to believe so many people were successfully hidden in there for as long as they were.  In reading up on their story, I was surprised that they still don't know who betrayed them.  Two of the suspects were Miep's sister or the stock room manager.  Others suspect it could have been someone who noticed movement in the office building after hours.   
I visited both the Van Gogh and Rembrandt museum, but I'm not really interested in art so they were pretty quick visits.   I was more interested in two photography museums I found.  The first was the Huts Marseille Museum.  This was a small building that basically showcased 2 collections.  The first was the Finnish photographer Esko Männikkö titled Time Flies.  Männikkö lived in a remote area of northern Finland.  He saw beauty in his immediate surroundings and in the people who lived in this sparsely populated area.  He took thousands of photos of the every day decay and deterioration.  Doorposts whose paint is peeling off, weather beaten buildings, faces that showed a hard life etched in every line, and abandoned buildings that were falling down.  Basically he hoped to capture scenes that expressed the passing of time.  I would say he succeeded. http://www.huismarseille.nl/en/
The next artist was a young Dutch woman name Hanne Van der Woude.  In 2009 she became friends with an older married couple.  83 year old Emmy and her husband Ben.  She lived with them for 5 years; sharing their joys and sorrows including Ben's terminal illness and passing.  Her photos showed a pretty graphic glimpse of their daily life, including Egbert's underwear and catheters drying on the line, Emmy brushing her hair, scenes from a trip the group took to France, Ben taking a bath the day before he died, and Emmy caring for her bed ridden husband.  It was a touching collection; a very personal insight into their lives. 
The 2nd museum, Foam, was much more up beat and had the type of photography I prefer.  Like the previous gallery, they rotate their exhibitions, showing a new artist every month or two.  During my visit, they had a fantastic collections of African wildlife.  When you walked in, the first thing you saw was a massive picture of a bull elephant looking directly at the camera.   There were many pictures of elephants, zebras, lions and other wildlife, as well as a large collection of nature shots.  There is a National Geographic museum in DC that shows the work of various National Geographic photographers.  They get the most amazing pictures of wildlife, and nature herself.  I saw one collection of storms and weather photos.  It was amazing, especially  when you consider what the photographer had to go through just to get that one impossible shot   The photographs at the Foam were for sale, but at €500 a shot, it was a little above my souvenir budget.  http://www.foam.org/
I visited a small canal museum that basically told the story of how the city was build and the part the canals played.  The exhibits were really interesting, the first one had everyone stand around a big conference table and told the story of the different ideas the city planners initially had, while projecting images of their sketches onto the table.  In the next room you were surrounded by images of the houses under construction, and they explained that the city was basically build on huge pilings driven into the soggy ground.  The next room had a huge doll house in the center.  You could look in each room and see different scenes from the past.  Along the walls were murals of the city, with rooms built behind it.  You could look through a small eye hole at the more popular buildings like the Ann Frank house or the Van Gogh museum for example.  It was a small museum, but very interesting.  http://www.hetgrachtenhuis.nl/en/ 
I visited a houseboat museum, which was basically just a look inside a house boat.  I was curious how it compared to living in an RV, which I did for almost 3 years as I traveled around the US.  I think the houseboat had more room.  The owner said it's about the size of an average Amsterdam apartment, which is certainly much smaller than most US apartments.   http://www.houseboatmuseum.nl/
The Church in the Attic was interesting because it showed life in a 17th century Dutch canal house.  It was the home of Jan Hartman, a rich merchant during the time when the country's official religion was Protestant.  Catholic churches were banned but Amsterdam, being a live and let live city, turned a blind eye to churches inside private residences.  From 1661 to 1663, Hartman converted his 3 story attic in to a church that could accommodate 150 people.  The lower levels were his home and the museum was filled with your typical period pieces. 
I basically spent 3 days just hopping from one museum to another to avoid the rain and wind.  I typically don't spend much time at museums and art galleries, but I did thoroughly enjoy the ones I visited.  Maybe because they were small and quirky. I also enjoyed walking around the city during the dry periods, and just soaking it all in.  Even with the poor weather, people were out enjoying themselves.  It may have been due, in some small part, to the overwhelming aroma of marijuana wafting out the doors of the coffee shops on every corner.  I thought about sampling some myself, but I didn't really care for it as a teenager and I didn't expect it to be any different now.   There were many markets selling fresh food, cheese, hot baked goods, flower bulbs, and typical souvenirs.  I got some waffles cookies that I remembered from before and they were as good as ever.  We ate the first 2 packs that night, so I had to go back for more.  I had been talking about Dutch pannekoeken ever since we began planning our trip.  They are a kind of Dutch pancakes, but closer to crapes.  We found a restaurant that advertised the best pannekoeken in the world, not just Amsterdam and thought, this is the place for us!  Sadly, it was a bit of a let down.  Not theirs specifically, they were very good, but the pannekoeken in general.  I don't know what I was expecting, I remembered them being much thicker, more like a pizza almost.   I am happy to say I was not disappointed with the Poffertjes.  These are tiny pancakes, with powdered sugar and fruit or Nutella on top.  There were food stands everywhere selling this delicious little treat and that made the cold just a little more bearable. 
One night was so cold and wet we just couldn't bring ourselves to go into the city .  We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant.  I ordered Thai soup and a Caesar salad.  What could go wrong, right?  Here's the thing...  I wear contacts to see at any distance.  But as I get older, I now need reading glasses to see up close.  If there is good light, I can basically make out a menu if I forget my glasses, which I do all too often.  This was one of those times, but the restaurant was dim and I couldn't see a thing on the menu!  I knew I wanted soup and salad so Mic read off my choices.  No problem, who can screw up a Caesar salad?   When it came it looked like I expected and I dug in.  It all went south at the very first bite.  OMG what did I just put in my mouth?  Apparently had we read the description, or if I could have seen the food in front of me, I would have known there were whole anchovies in the salad.  And a lot of them!   Even writing this, I can still taste it LOL.  I couldn't even pick them out and just eat the lettuce because I couldn't see well enough between the dim light and being blind!  Plus, the risk was just too great that I would bite down on another one by accident.   Lucky for me, the soup was a meal in itself and very good.   I know there are anchovies blended in Caesar salad dressing sometimes but it's very different actually biting into one, especially when you're not expecting it. 
Our last day in Amsterdam, Mic joined me for some sightseeing.  We did a canal cruse but couldn't really get good pictures due to the glass cover.  We went to the Body Works exhibit.  I had been to it before in Chicago.  If you get a chance to see it, I recommend you go, its fascinating.  According to Wikipedia, Body Worlds is a traveling exhibition of preserved human bodies and body parts that are prepared using a technique called plastination to reveal inner anatomical structures. Body Worlds exhibitions have received more than 37 million visitors, making them the world's most popular touring attraction.  The exhibit states that it's purpose and mission is the education of laymen about the human body, leading to better health awareness. All the human plastinates are from people who donated their bodies for plastination via a body donation program.  Each Body Worlds exhibition contains approximately 25 full-body plastinates with expanded or selective organs shown in positions that enhance the role of certain systems. More than 200 specimens of real human organs and organ systems are displayed in glass cases, some showing various medical conditions.  It's a very interesting and education exhibition. 
I wanted to take a trip down memory lane and go visit my old house and the places I hung out when I lived there, but we just didn't have time.  After spending almost a week in the cold rain, it was so nice to get home to 70 degree weather.  Apparently after suffering through the coldest winter in 50 years last year, Malta is now enjoying one of the warmest Decembers in recent memory.
;
Link to pictures:
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020