Budapest

So I'm off on my Eastern European adventure.  Mic's mom is in town for two weeks and I want to give her time alone with her baby boy.  Plus, summer has hit Malta with a vengeance and it's hot, hot, hot!  I had long wanted to visit several countries in Eastern Europe, mainly Hungry and Poland.  I figured now was the perfect time.
I had booked an apartment called Bebop Mátyás Apartments and was really impressed with the apartment and staff.  I had several communications back and forth with them and Marton met me at the apartment when I got in at midnight.  The apartment was a one bedroom loft in a very old building with a lot of character.  It was a good end to a frustrating day.  That morning I picked up my cell phone from the repair shop.  It had a scratched camera lens and the microphone needed to be replaced.  Neither was repaired properly and now my tablet was broken too! 
Monday morning I started out with a plan to use my phone for navigation, as I always did. Oh great, now Google maps isn't working either!  So here I am in a strange city, completely lost.  I'll have to do this the old fashion way; with an actual city map.  My apartment was in a great location, with lots of restaurants, shopping and a metro stop just around the corner. I soon found myself at the central market.  It was a huge building with 3 floors of stalls selling food and souvenirs.  The smelly fish venders were in the basement, but they also had many stalls with pickled produce, including every vegetable you can imagined.  Some of the displays were quite whimsical, with smiley faced onions with pimentos looking back at you as you perused the goods.  On the main floor were meat shops on one side and fruit and veggie stands on the other.  The fruits looked fantastic, so fresh and ripe.  They had beautiful corn on the cob, something you just don't see in Malta, so grabbed a few for dinner.  They had regular cherries but also something I had ever seen, like mini cherries.  They were much cheaper so I got half a kilo to taste.  They were good, but not as robust as the bigger ones. 
I headed up to the 3rd floor where they were selling all things Hungarian, including street food.  At 10 in the morning, they were selling hearty meals like sausage and sauerkraut, meat and potatoes, or chicken and cabbage.   It was a bit more then I wanted that early.  I came to a stand that had fried dough pizza, both sweet and savory.  I will admit the sweet ones were pretty tempting, with jelly filled centers, lined with powdered sugar and drizzled with chocolate on top.  Instead I asked for a mini ham and cheese calzone like sandwich.  Instead, I got a traditional Langos which is a huge elephant ear/fried dough pizza with ham, cheese, what looked like a full sliced onion with salad covering the whole thing.  I had no idea how you were supposed to eat this, so I looked around.  Apparently, you just fold it over as best you can and shoved it in your mouth. At which point, most of the topping promptly fell in my lap. Well, it certainly filled me up and was surprisingly good. 
After dropping my groceries off at home, I headed back out,  by now my GPS had decided to cooperate, so things were looking up.  Budapest is a city split in two by the Danube river.  One one side is Buda, which is the quieter, more residential city.  Pest, (pronounced Pesht) is the more happening city and where I spent about 90% of my time.  As I walked around this very walkable city, I was surprised at how many interesting statues and sculptures there were. They were everywhere, as were green spaces.  There were several decent sized parks, but even the medians were covered in flowers, grass and fountains. 
I made it to the city center to buy a tour bus ticket.  As I walked up, 2 buses pull up.  I told the ticket taker I want a 1 day ticket, he says 7500 HUF (23 euro).  He asks where I'm from, I say Malta.  He's excited, says we're neighbors, he's from Tunisia.  He says "I like you, I'll give you a 3 day pass for the same price". Sure, I hand him a 10,000 HUF note.  He steps up the chatter then hustles me on the first bus saying "hurry, they leave without you". (2nd bus still sitting there) I get on the bus and realize he never gave me my change, about 8 euro worth.  Half a block away I make the bus stop and let me off.  It's been less then 5 min.  I go back, but he's gone.  I go to another ticket seller (different company) and explain what happened.  This was a young, local Hungarian girl.  She says "I know it's racist, but you don't buy tickets from those people".  She points me to another guy with the right company.  He says, "oh he told me he forgot to give you your change, but he's gone to lunch.  Come back later".  I don't think so!  After a heated debate, he hands over my change.  I get on the other bus, which has been sitting there all along and head out again.  Who is working the next stop but my Tunisian buddy, who supposedly went to lunch.  I looked at the brochure for the tour and realize he charged me for the 3 day ticket, not the one day that I asked for.  I reported him to the ticket office, but the girl isn't a supervisor, she suggested emailing the main office.  When I got home, that's exactly what I did.  They sent a profuse apology, a promise to look into it because that's not how they do business, and 2 free tickets for our next tour.    
These guys had quite the double scam going.   I'm sure many, if not most, tourists would either not realize they didn't get their change or if they did, would figure it's not worth going back for.  He didn't hand me the brochure till he was rushing me on the bus, so I couldn't see the price printed on the front.
I did enjoy the tour, despite the rocky start.  It was a good deal, they were in the process of buying up another company, so there were several lines to take and I did actually end up using it for 3 days.   As the bus drove around the city, I noticed even more interesting statues and fountains.  I have never been interested in architecture, but seeing the fantastic buildings all over Europe makes me want to learn more.  Because the cities are so old, you see such a fascinating mixture of styles and how they have changed over the centuries.  Since all the buildings in the US are basically only a few hundred years old, and made mostly from wood, we simply don't have the elaborate stone cathedrals and other buildings that may have taken hundreds of years to finish and that have stood for centuries.  To us, a one room schoolhouse still standing from the late 1800's is a wonder. 
Some of the sights I saw over the next few days included the amazing Parliament building.  I did an evening Danube river cruise and the only way to see how absolutely massive, and stunningly beautiful this building is, is from the river.  The Hungarian Parliament Building, Országház, translates to House of the Country or House of the Nation. It is the seat of the National Assembly of Hungary, one of Europe's oldest legislative buildings.  It is currently the largest building in Hungary.  Its a relatively new building for Europe, construction was started in 1885 and completed in 1904. 
I also did a tour of Matthias Church (Hungarian: Mátyás-templom).  Originally built  in 1015, it was destroyed in 1241 by the Mongols.  The current Gothic style building was constructed in the second half of the 14th century and was extensively restored in the late 19th century. The outside of the building was breathtaking; there was so much detail in the stone carvings and the spires, which are all different from each other.  In addition to all the stone carvings, there are wonderful brown tile designs laid into the roof.  I found a great blog post if you want more details.   http://cannundrum.blogspot.com/2014/03/matthias-church-budapest.html.  
Just behind Matthias Church is Fisherman’s Bastion or Halászbástya.  It is basically part of the city wall, built between 1895 and 1902, with seven towers representing the seven Magyre tribes that settled in the Carpathian Basin in 896.   It is named in honor of a group of fishermen who defended that part of the city wall during the middle ages.  The towers were really picturesque, even more so with the scenery behind it.  You have fantastic views of the city and the Danube from the towers.  There is a small cafe at the base of the wall advertising goulash and fresh fruit drinks.  By noon they were all out of goulash, but that's the only food they served.  Perhaps a lack of planning? The strawberry lemonade was wonderfully refreshing and you certainly couldn't beat the view of the Parliament building outside the widow. 
Hero's Square was the next stop, or Hősök tere.  This is a major square in Budapest, although it's not really in the city center and was not as crowded.  This is where their Tomb of the Unknown Solder lies. While they say tomb, its not like the one in Arlington Cemetery where there are actually remains of a soldier.  This is a cenotaph (a sepulchral monument erected in memory of a deceased person whose body is buried elsewhere) dedicated "To the memory of the heroes who gave their lives for the freedom of our people and our national independence."   The statues on the columns feature the Seven Chieftains of the Magyars as well as other important leaders.   On either side of the square are the Museum of Fine Arts and the Palace of Art.  The main structure is called the Millennium Memorial (Hungarian: Millenáriumi Emlékmű) and was built from 1896 to 1900 to commemorate the thousandth anniversary of the Hungarian conquest of the Carpathian Basin and the foundation of the Hungarian state in 1896. 
As a side note, sightseeing was a bit more complicated in Hungry because unlike most cities I've visited, all the names were in Hungarian.  Go figure right!  But most major cities recognize that English is a common language that many tourist can speak or read.  Or at least I have always been able to figure out what the spot was because it was similar enough to English.   In Budapest, I was constantly cross referencing the tour bus map with Trip Adviser or just looking at the pictures.    

Next up on our tour, The Citadella or Citadel.  The U shaped fortress, which sits on top of Gellért Hill, was built in 1851.  The bus takes you up this long hill, but drops you off before you reach the Citadella so you don't see just how big it is. (220 meters long and 60 meters wide)  As you walk further up the hill, you get magnificent views of Budapest and all 8 of the bridges spanning the Danube.  There are venders selling ice cream and cold drinks as well as souvenirs of all kind.  You are so busy taking in the views to the left of you, that you hardly notice the massive wall behind all the food carts.  You come around the bend and see the Liberty Statue or Freedom Statue (Szabadság-szobor) high above your head.  It commemorates those who sacrificed their lives for the independence, freedom, and prosperity of Hungary. 
Budapest is knows as the City of Spas because it has so many thermal hot springs.  There are 118 springs all over the city, pumping out over 70 millions liters of water every day.  The temperature varies between 21 and 78 Celsius or 78 to 172 Fahrenheit.   The Romans were using the hot springs in the 2nd century, but the baths were not really popular until the  Turkish occupation of Hungry in the 16th century.  Today there are some 15 public spas in the city, one of which is Széchenyi Thermal Bath.  It's in fact, the largest spa complex in Europe, so of course I had to go! It's also the first thermal bath of Pest, built in 1913.   The hot-spring the water comes from contains  calcium, magnesium, hydro-carbonate, sodium and sulphate, with a significant content in fluoride and metaboric acid.  There are 2 huge outdoor pools and 15 indoor pools with varying water temps.  I will say I tried every pool there, but spent most of the time in the largest outdoor pool because like Goldilocks said, that one was just right.  The other outdoor pool was too hot.  Some of the indoor pools were nice, but much smaller and a little too intimate because the best ones were pretty crowded.   The main outdoor pool was pretty cool, in the middle of it was a bubbling hot tub with a lazy river circling it.  Around the outside of the lazy river was a wall and along the wall were benches and shower jets, all in the middle of the pool.   I ended up spending the whole day there, just soaking in one pool after another.

One of the last sites on my list was a memorial called The Shoes on the Danube Bank.  This memorial is composed of 60 pair of iron shoes in all sizes; men's, women's and children's.   The shoes represent the Jews who were killed by fascist Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest during World War II. The victims were lined up, ordered to take off their shoes, and were shot at the edge of the river, and their bodies were carried away downstream.  Apparently the shoes had value on the black market. 
I really enjoyed my time in Budapest, I could totally see myself going back for a longer visit.  The people were really friendly, everyone spoke English and the public transport was great.  It was really cheap too, my apartment cost about $125 for 4 nights.  The food was great, I quickly became addicted to the hollow round sweet bread called Chimney cakes or Kürtős kalács.  They are a hollow, cylinder shaped bread and you can have them rolled in powdered sugar, cinnamon or crushed nuts.  They are sold in food trucks all over the city  In fact, they were also in Prague and Krakow, but in these cities, you could have them filled with ice cream, or coated on the inside with different cream fillings. I liked the plain ones, rolled in nuts.



Pictures

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020