Ramstein


I'm off to Germany to house sit for my friends Steve, Judi and her sister Sharon.  They are headed to Norway on a cruise and I admit to being more then a little jealous.  My good friend Stephie had done a similar trip this past year and raved about it.  Another on my long list of places to visit. They have a Jack Russel Terrier, Benson, who is such a character.  I'd heard a lot about him, and was really looking forward to spending time with him.  I've had dogs and cats my whole life, and I've really been missing a furry friend these past two years.  Life is a trade off and it just wouldn't be right to have a pet as much as I travel.  The next best thing; dog sitting.  Steve was even kind enough to loan me his car, so I was one happy camper!
They live in a beautiful house in a little town called Ramstein-Miesenbach, right next to Ramstein Air Base.  I knew I was among friends when I entered the kitchen to see they had filled the wine cooler with Mt Dew and Dr Pepper!  Oh do they know me well!  After a great dinner at their favorite neighborhood restaurant, it was time to turn in.  I slept so well, the weather was much cooler in Germany then in Malta.
On Monday we did some errands and stopped by the base so I could stock up at the commissary.  We ate at Taco Bell and  I was surprised to see so many new items.  Hmm which to try??  Sadly I did not choose wisely.  I got one of their new burritos, and it had an awful tasting white sauce.  Better to stick with the tried and true favorites.  Between the commissary and the local market, I was very happy to see such a wide variety of fresh vegetables like corn on the cob.  If you remember from our recent trip to Nice, I packed a bunch of fresh corn in my suitcase because Malta rarely has any and when they do, it looks more like feed corn then anything fit for human consumption.  That night Steve grilled some steaks along with corn and it was a fabulous meal. I forgot how great the meat was in Germany.  I'm not sure if it the cut or perhaps what they feed their cows and pigs, but the meat is so tender and juicy and just taste better.  On Tuesday the girls went to the mall for pedicures and shopping.  For dinner we went to a local castle ruin for another awesome steak dinner.   
They left early on Wednesday, and Benson jumped in bed with me.  Sadly, I was in a twin bed and there just wasn't room for both of us.  So we got up and played fetch in the back yard before a nice breakfast on the balcony.  Benson truly is a character!  When I say he loves his toys, I mean he is beyond obsessed.  When you walk in the front door, he's happy enough to see you and all.  But what he really wants is for you to open the closet and get him one of his many balls or stuffed squeaky toys.  The reason they are kept in the closet and out of his reach is because he just wont stop playing and of course no one wants to play alone.  He drops them at your feed and sits back expectantly for you to throw them for him.  Oh, you're busy?  Here, let me put it in your lap so you can throw it for me.  I truly don't know where he gets the energy. In the evening, I would eat dinner on the balcony and throw his ball over the rail.  He would run down into the yard and find it.  It was amazing to watch, no matter where I aimed, he zeroed in and came racing back for another throw.  More then a few times it rolled under the bushes and I thought I'd have to go down myself and get it, but nope, he always found it.  The house was a block away from a small lake that connected to hiking and biking paths in every direction.  Sadly, Benson wasn't nearly as interested in hiking as he was in hurrying back home to his toys.  

On Thursday I went to see my old Air Force base.  I was stationed at Hahn AB from 1984 to 1987.  It was a small base, in a sleepy little farming region called the Hunsrük.  I lived in several places, but my favorite was Traben-Trabach.  It's down on the Mosel river, about half way between Trier and Koblenz.   This is wine country, too bad I never liked wine.  During the summer it seemed like an endless string of wine festivals and wine tasting excursions with my friends, who drank their share and mine too.  The base closed down years ago and it is now a satellite airport for Frankfurt. I went to the airport first, looking for some sign that this used to be a US military base.  From a distance, it just looked like an airport.  As I drove around more, I noticed an old, long building, clearly not in use and falling apart.  This was the supply building, very close to where my office was.  No sign of that building, but eventually I found what was the NCO club; basically the bar for the enlisted folks.  Oh I spent many an evening there.  As I widened my circle, I came upon a gate leading to what now seems to be a police academy.  Near the entrance, I saw row after row of dilapidated dorms, but they didn't look like the buildings I remember.   To be honest, they were falling apart when we lived in them.  I remember the plaster crumbling off the walls and having to brush it off my bed every night.  I'm guessing these dorms were build after I left, but before they knew they were closing the base.  A few blocks further on, the dorms had been refurbished and there were police cadets everywhere.  There was a full blown campus with classrooms, library, infirmary, dining facility and more.
It was kind of bitter sweet, driving around.  On the one hand, it was really sad to see those buildings crumbling and neglected.  I'm not sure why they couldn't be put to some use, converted into low income housing or maybe to house some of the refugees Germany has taken in.  Put them to work turning them into habitable buildings once again.  I know that's a pretty simplistic idea.  On the other hand, it was good to see so many of the buildings actually had been used.  I had some great memories from my time at Hahn; amazing friends several whom I'm still in touch with 30 years later; grand adventures too many to mention.   
It was my first time overseas and I can still remember that first day; the combination of fear and excitement at the great unknown.  I was 21 years old; I flew into Frankfurt and the person supposed to pick me up was a no show.  I heard some guy mention he was station at Hahn, so I jumped in the car with him and 4 buddies and off we went.  When we got to the base, the lodging office was closed and I had no where to sleep for the entire weekend.  No problem, these guys had a extra bed in their dorm.  I ended up spending the weekend in what can only be described as a frat house.  First thing Monday morning they deposited me safe and sound at the lodging office and I remained friends with that whole group until the last one left a year later.  I had another friend Brad, who was part of a big group I hung out with.  He and I were roommates in Traben Trabach when my family came to visit.  They asked about him for years after; how's Brad, are you still in touch with him?  Thanks to Facebook we did reconnect and meet up when he came to DC to see his brother.  As is very typical of military friends, 5 minutes together and it was like we were back in 1987, that same easy feeling you get when you are with someone you've know forever. 
I drove to the towns around Hahn - Lautzenhausen, Sohren, Bcühenbeuren... but absolutely nothing looked familiar.  I was hoping I would have better luck down on the river.  My first stop was Zell.  This I remember well because they were famous for the Schwartz Katz or black cat wine label.  Sure enough, right in the middle of Zell is the big black cat on a wine barrel with his back arched.  The river and the hills covered in vineyards sure seemed familiar too.  I went along the river toward Traben-Trabach and there, high above the town, sat the arched ruin that I remembered so well.  That was a favorite hang out of ours; I have pictures of almost all my friends, at one point or another, framed in that archway.  Sadly, the town itself didn't look familiar.  I walked around a bit, and it was a typical German town; flowers everywhere, ornate wood carvings over doors and archways telling a story, wine everywhere you looked.  They even had grape vines, heavy with fruit, growing up the buildings and crossing high above the street.  I tried to find our apartment; I remember it as a huge white building up a steep hill, overlooking the city, but I just couldn't find it. 

I stopped in a little cafe on the river for lunch.  As it turns out, they served wine and very little food.  The only edible option was a boar meat sandwich. I thought I would get that if only to taste something different. What I got was two pieces of dry bread with a little butter and thinly shaved dried boar meat.  It was interesting, but not nearly as tasty as the fresh apple strudel I washed it down with.

Next stop was the ruin on top of the hill.  I remember it being up a very very steep and narrow dirt trail. The vineyards in the area are all grown on the side of the hills, which are extremely steep.  Between the rows are pathways barely big enough to fit the carts filled with grapes.  I either was much braver or more stupid back in the day.  As I started up this little path in my borrowed SUV,  the closer I got to the top, the more stupid it seemed. The truck was too big for the trail and I was surely going to roll off and die. I found a place where I could turn around and sadly admitted defeat.  Still, the view of Traben far down below was spectacular.

On Friday I went into Kaiserslautern to the Japanese garden.  It was underwhelming to say the least.  Nice enough, but very small.   I had a much better time wandering around the Ikea and the Walmart like Globus store.  In the evening I went to an Afrikaner Night with a local meet-up group.  There was a girl Renee who just arrived this week, so I contacted her and we went together.  Much like my bestie Michelle in Malta, Renee and I hit it off immediately.  As with most meet up events, the people were very friendly and we both made some new friends.  Better for her of course because she will live there. The actual event was pretty much a non event, really just a reason for the towns people to gather on a beautiful summer evening.   There was some live music and food stands, but for the most part, it was really a social gathering.  The conversation noise was much louder then the band. 
On Saturday I went to Trier.  When I was at Hahn, I remember making the 1 hour drive to this large city on the Mosel because they had the only McDonalds around.  I didn't even like their burgers, but it was a taste of home.  It wasn't like today, with American restaurants on every corner.  This was literally the only American food within driving distance.  As with my trip earlier in the week, nothing looked familiar.  For one thing, I remembered the Glockenspiel in the city center.  It's a huge clock with life sized wooden figures on a carousel that come out 3 times a day to tell stories.  One about the marriage of the local Duke Wilhelm V and the other of local coppers who danced through the street during the 1517 plague to bring "fresh vitality to fearful dispositions".  I went to the city center and couldn't find the clock.  Probably because it was in Munich, not Trier.  Well, that explains a lot.  It was still a nice visit, the center of town consisted of several shopping streets for pedestrians.  There was a small fruit and veg market with plenty of grapes, including one stand selling them straight out of wheelbarrows.   A little further on I came to St. Peter's Cathedral.  Its the oldest cathedral in the country, built in 1235.  This was after the church built in 270 was destroyed by the Franks, a second rebuilding was destroyed by the Normans in 882.  It was quite an impressive church, both beautiful and imposing, just in the city center.  Down the street you come to Porta Nigra or Black Gate.  This is a large Roman city gate, today the largest north of the Alps.  The stones are black, hence the name. 
I took a little tram tour, and saw more of the roman wall and a few more churches.  It was really hot and back on the pedestrian street, people were eating fantastic looking ice creams.  That looked like a great idea, so I got one too.  Clearly my eyes were bigger then my stomach, because there was no way I could eat the whole thing.  I did what I could, maybe a little more even because it was just too good to walk away from.  There wasn't anything spectacular I wanted to see, so I headed home early.  The entire area was just so beautiful, driving along the river with vineyards growing high up on the hills.  The overall scenery at least  brought back so many fond memories.
On Sunday Renee and I went for a drive, so I could show her around.  We decided to go on the other side of the Mosel river, to Cochem, the sight of a really nice castle.  We thought about going for a boat cruise along the river because it was so beautiful.  On the way there, we changed our mind and decided to just drive along the river.  Then we saw another place we wanted to go, so changed directions again.  Honestly, we could have been there and back by the time we decided where to go and actually arrive there!  We ended up back in Traben Trabach.   Along the way we found a great little cafe right on the river.  The view was fantastic and the food equally wonderful.  
We made it to Traben Trabach and spent the afternoon walking around taking pictures, having ice cream and enjoying the day.  When I got home from my last trip, I asked Brad if he remembered where we lived.  He did, and drew me a map.  Sure enough, it was exactly where he said, a big white building on top of a hill.  I took a few pictures before making another attempt at the ruin on top of the hill.  We found another way up, this one a proper paved road.  Still really steep but we finally made it.  The reward was worth it, the view was spectacular.  There was now a cafe up there, so after snapping a bunch of pictures, we settled in with a drink and just watched the world go by.  On one side we looked down on the river.  Another side we could see row after row of vineyards, with the grapes almost ready to harvest.  The final view was looking down on my apartment building.  It was a great way to end the day.
On Tuesday I wanted to get some shopping in, so I headed into Kaiserslautern to the big mall.  What a glorious day, 3 levels of shopping and I had plenty of time and a credit card!  I basically shopped until Renee got off work at 4:30.  She just started working and was in the process of finding a house, but didn't have a car.    I love looking at houses, so of course I was more than happy to take her around.  I was supposed to meet her in the food court, but I was early.  There was a Dunkin Donut shop nearby but I was shocked to find out one donut cost $1.80.  I definitely don't remember them being that much! 
Renee had 3 houses lined up for us to look at, but somehow we got mixed up.  We went to the house we were supposed to view last, first.  It may be because we were laughing so hard about 2 men who reached out to her on a dating web site.  We called them Hans and Franz.  Both were fairly good looking; what was so funny is that the 2nd one took several pictures of himself, one of which was in a speedo.  Now that was not a pretty sight! 
On Wednesday I went to Strasbourg, France.  Renee had been with a base tour group the past weekend and said it was beautiful.  I drove down to what looked like the city center and found parking right away.  I got out and started walking then decided I was just too far from where I wanted to be.  I turned around and walked a block back to the car, but it was gone. Hmmm I thought I left it right here.  I looked around and realized I was on the wrong street.  Only I could walk 2 blocks from a car and lose it.  Eventually I located it and drove to the actual city center and found a big parking lot, where a young man was waiting to shake me down.  I've seen this before, where someone goes to a parking lot and acts as a parking attendant.  They pocket the money without paying the meter and you get a ticket.  I wondered how successful he was since there were signs everywhere warning of the scam.  Luckily I didn't have to hassle with him as the police showed up at the same time. 
Strasbourg was nice,  but really hot.  I walked around a bit and found the Cathedral Notre Dame de Strasbourg but it was right next to other buildings and you really couldn't take it all in.  It was a beautiful old church, started in 1015 and completed in 1439.  I wanted to do a boat tour, but Renee warned me it was too hot.  It was an open boat, no shade and it didn't go fast enough to get any breeze.  I walked around a bit, had a nice lunch and a cool ice cream then decided I had seen enough for the day and headed home.

On Saturday I went for a nice hike on one of the trails by the house.  The people I met along the way were so friendly, almost everyone offered a good morning and a smile.  I passed a big cornfield and was so temped to pick a few, they were gorgeous looking big fat ears of corn.  But I resisted, in part because I already had some at home.  Judi, Steve and Sharon were coming home on Sunday, so I spent the day cleaning and cooking a big roast dinner.  I was leaving the next day so I thought I better figure out how to get all the stuff I bought into my suitcase.  LOL Not a chance! For one thing, I had a lot of frozen food including 5 packs of bacon (some for my friend Susan) and several packs of sausage for Mic.  I ended up mailing most of my clothes back as well as some licorice and maybe a can or two of Mt Dew...

I was a great trip; so nice to see my friends, meet Benson, meet Renee, and have a wonderful trip down memory lane. 
 
link to pictures

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020