Singapore


The Republic of Singapore is a small independent country on the southern tip of Malaysia. As a former trading post of the British East India trading company, the British influence is still noticeable today.  For the 5th year on a row it has been ranked as the most expense city in the world to live in, and I had heard, even for a tourist it was very expensive, but I didn't find it nearly that bad.  English is one of 4 official languages and the one most often spoken.  The MRT, or Mass Rapid Transport, was fast, efficient, easy to use and took me everywhere I needed to go.  As a US citizen, I didn't need a visa to visit.
 

I had heard so much about Singapore being very clean and beautiful. I'm not sure it lived up to all the hype, but there seemed to be flowers everywhere, even on bridges and pedestrian walkways. I’d say it was about the same as Holland or Switzerland.
 

I went to visit Gardens by the Bay and it was an amazing. It's a huge garden park, broken up into many different areas. The three main attractions are the Supertree Grove, the Cloud Forest and the Flowering Dome. The Flowering Dome is the largest greenhouses in the world. It covers 1.2 hectors and features plants from around the world. They also have statues carved in wood, scattered among the plantings.  The carvings are wonderful, there are displays from Alice in Wonderland, dragons, African animals and some abstract carvings. They also have different sections like Mediterranean where they have a thousand-year-old olive tree; rain forests with trees from Central and South America; a Japanese garden; and my favorite, a section with some of the strangest cacti I've ever seen. I picked the perfect time to be in the green house because it was raining outside, but for some reason, it was absolutely freezing inside. I saw a display where they explained the technical world underneath the greenhouse.  They had pipes with cold water running under the dome to keep the plants cold. I'm not sure why it had to be cold, especially in the areas like Central and South America, where it would have been hot. 
 
 
Right next door was the Cloud Forest, another huge enclosed dome. It was the most unique thing I've ever seen. At the entrance was a towering mountain, completely filled with lush plants and waterfalls from top to bottom. You take an elevator to the top and then you slowly walk down on the forest walk, one level at a time. Each level represents different regions, so all of the plants are unique to that region.   Scattered throughout was the most astonishing variety of orchids imaginable, some 28,000 different species.  It was such an incredible display, I just couldn't stop taking pictures.  The Cloud Forest also had some delightful statues and carvings including a giant mosaic of different animal faces.  
 

The most interesting part of the entire Garden by the Bay was called the Supertree Grove. This display looked like something straight out of a science fiction movie. These 22-meter-high vertical structures were jam-packed with ferns, orchids, bromelaids, climbing ivy and other plants, almost 163,000 in all; a perfect example of vertical gardening.  The top of the structure spreads out to form kind of a bowl. It's almost impossible to describe. There are 8 to 10 of the supertrees. At night there is an impressive light display, which I sadly missed. There's a skyway that goes between the top of two of the supertrees and the view is absolutely amazing.  Besides viewing the entire park, you can also see the Singapore Skyline in the background. I literally spent all day in these three areas, it was the most wonderful park.
 

I also visited Little India, but it was more of a food court serving Indonesian and Indian food.  I saw many people eating with their hands; they would make a pile of rice and meat by moving the food to the center of the plate with their fingers, scoop up a mouth full, tilt their head back and drop it in.  Aside from that, the food looked very unappealing to me.  I noticed that in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore they ate a lot of chicken, but they cut it up in such a way that you got a little bit of meat, but a big mouthful of bone and gristle.  
 

I had heard about a law in Singapore banning chewing gum. Of course, I turned to Wikipedia for the history.  As is true the world over, discarded gum was a problem everywhere, but was specifically being used to vandalize mailboxes, keyholes and more in public housing.  In 1983 there was talk of banning it, but the issue was seen as too drastic and dropped. In 1987 the $5 billion railway system MRT was built.  Vandals soon began sticking gum on the door sensors, preventing the doors from closing and basically disrupting the trains.  By 1992 the Prime Minister had had enough and enacted a ban.  Imports and sales of chewing gum were halted.  The ban is actually still in effect, but you are now allowed certain dental or nicotine gum.  I also noticed there is a $150 fine if you don’t flush the toilet, $1000 fine for spitting in a public place, $10,000 for connecting to someone else’s Wi-Fi, and $500 for feeding pigeons.  Apparently, some public elevators have sensors that detect if someone has urinated in them.  The doors remain closed until the police arrive.  I’d love to see that put in effect in Italy. 
 

Anyway, I mention the gum ban because on my second day I realized I had some in my purse.   And as is the case, because I couldn’t have it, all I wanted was to chew it. 
 

On the subway there were a lot of signs about etiquette. Some of the posters were; "bags on the floor to make room for more", "Show you care, offer this seat", #Standupstacy. At one stop they had a row of antiscam posters, warning the elderly about people asking for their banking information, reminding men that women they meet on line may be more interested in money than love.  There's one poster all over the city that says if somebody needs assistance, because they've had an accident or whatever, please help them. I’ve heard of several countries where if somebody falls or is injured, people just walk around them and pretend they didn't notice. The explanation given was that it was a ruse to rob people. Someone falls down, good samaritans rushed to their aid, and accomplices pickpocket them. 
 

As was the case with Kuala Lumpur, I only had a few days in Singapore, but I loved it.  This was my last stop on my 3-month SE Asia tour and like everywhere else I visited, it was wonderful.  There was so much to see and do, the people were friendly, and the city was wonderful.  It was kind of sad that my trip was over, but big changes awaited me at home. 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020