Christchurch, Hamner Springs, Kaikoura, and Picton


 

Although my visa for Australia is good for 1 year, for some reason I have to leave every 3 months.  When I asked the immigration office if I had to leave for a specific length of time, they said no, just step out and back in.  Uh, that’s not really possible when there is no other country touching your border.  New Zealand here I come!
I landed in Christchurch; deciding to tour South Island first.  I found a hostel near the city center (with private rooms) and enjoyed getting to know the other travelers as well as the super friendly staff.  Its listed at 19 Bristol Street on Airbnb and  stayed there each time I was in the city.  This was to be the case every single place I stayed.  I know hostels are a cheap way to travel, but at my age, I just can’t see sleeping on bunkbeds with a room full of people more than half my age.  That being said, in New Zealand, most hostels have the option of a private room with shared kitchen and bathrooms.  I would guess the average price per night was somewhere around $30USD.   A far cry from the $75 average I probably spend in most of Europe.  Christchurch experienced a 6.2 earthquake in 2011 and it is still rebuilding.  The city center was hit pretty hard and there are still some heavily damaged building awaiting demolition.  In the immediate aftermath, most business re-opened out of cargo containers.  Today, there are only two remaining; a Greek restaurant and a Ben and Jerry’s.  As new buildings were built, the street art scene took off.  There are some fantastic murals covering entire building sides all over the city center.  There are also sculptures dotted here and there.  It’s a pretty small city center and very walkable.  There is a tourist tram whose live commentary combines history with local interest tidbits. 
I was in town for just a few days and did all the tourist stuff; the botanic garden, (more like a beautiful city park with lots of birds) a short boat ride on the Avon river, (very short, with the boats pushed along with people in costume, like a mini Venice experience) and Gondola ride up the side of a mountain, with views of the surrounding countryside all the way to the ocean.
 
After a few days in Christchurch, I rented a car so I could properly tour the island.  I headed north to the tiny town of Waiau.  There really wasn’t anything there, it was just a central point to explore the area.  Kaikoura is a coastal town, known for its wildlife including seals and whales.  I didn’t do the whale tour, but I did hike out to the fur seal colony.  The coastline is fantastic, with snow dusting the mountain tops, green fields, and a rocky coast, sometimes all in one picture.  On the trail I passed a breeding colony of the pied shag, or cormorant.  The breeding ground was off limits but there were a pair on some nearby rocks that let me get quite close.  They have beautiful faces with bright blue and yellow patches around their eyes. 
The seals were hanging out on the rocks, sunning themselves on the warm day.  There were a few babies which of course everyone was focused on.  What was amazing was how good they were at climbing.  They were on a particularly rocky portion of the beach, with huge rocks and some pretty sharp edges.  One baby in particular looked like he was a professional rock climber, the way he scrambled up a sheer rock face. 
Hanmer Springs in a tiny resort town, famous for its thermal pool and spa.  Who wouldn’t like to spend the day soaking in a variety of thermal pools?  You have a choice of a lazy river, a giant jacuzzi complete with water jets, a lap pool, several secluded rock pools, and a handful of other spas.  There was even a giant slide, which I skipped.  I was at a similar spa in Costa Rica and went on the water slide - it was a death-defying experience.  The slide went so fast, I was literally airborne more than half the time and when I hit the water at the end, I hit so hard I lost a contact lens and was half blind for the rest of the day.  Nope, no waterslide for me!
As I was coming out of the spa, I had to look twice at the small park across the way.  No, my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me, there was a group of people leading llamas on leashes.  I had seen something about a llama farm on a tourist brochure, but seriously, taking them for a walk in the park?  Wonder how much they paid for that unique experience?  Bravo to the farm owners who figured out a way make some extra money.
I found a small lavender farm as I was driving around, sadly, they were not in bloom so there wasn’t much going on.  These farms or gardens are all over NZ, but I guess they bloom starting in October.  Too bad, I just love the smell and of course all the beautiful butterflies they attract. 
After Waiau I headed north to Picton on the Marlborough sound at the north tip of South Island.  The road between Waiau and Picton, Hwy 1, had some spectacular views of the mountains and the sea.  The drive was only about 3 hours, but it took me closer to 5 because I kept stopping to take in the view.
There are several small islands in Marlborough sound which are predator free bird sanctuaries.  Before people came to New Zealand 800 years ago, the entire country was predator free, that’s why they have so many flightless birds.  Captain Cook was the British Explorer who discovered and was the first to circumnavigate New Zealand somewhere around 1770.  He accidentally introduced the first predators to the area including rats, possums, and sloats (they look like weasels).  The native birds, which were flightless and ground nesting didn’t stand a chance. 
There are about 53 species which are now extinct, 15 of which have been wiped out since 1850.  3 were so recent there are actual color photographs of them like the South Island snipe which died out when rats invaded the last island refuge.  Currently there are several islands where rare birds are making a comeback and there is quite the effort to keep the islands predator free.  Boats are not allowed to stay at the dock for more than a few minutes and there are live traps everywhere. 
I really wanted to visit some of the islands, so I booked an all-day tour for two of them. Motuara was our first stop.  It has been predator free since 1992 and is now a kind of bird nursery.  One such bird is the rowi kiwi, found only on one part of South Island.  There are fewer than 500 left, having been nearly wiped out by sloats.  Eggs are gathered and hatched in captivity and the chicks are released onto Motuara island.  Once they are old enough to defend themselves against sloats they are returned to their original location.  Since kiwi are nocturnal we didn’t see any of them, but we did see other rare birds, including the saddleback.  In 1964 they were on the brink of extinction with only 36 in the world.   They now are making a comeback mainly on predator free islands and sanctuaries.
Motuara island was the main destination and included a guided hike to the top of a mountain.  Not being a fan of climbing I opted to stay at the bottom where there was a viewing platform for a water feature where
all the birds came to bathe and drink.  The birds were totally unafraid of people and were very photogenic.
My next stop (I was the only one getting off) was Blumine Island, about 830 acres, mostly hills.  In 2008 Blumine was deemed predator free, as the other islands, due to an eradication project by the Department of Conservation.  The island had no dock, so the boat got me close and I waded in. There was a sail boat in the harbor and I met the owner who was mountain biking.  I watched with a bit of amusement as he loaded his bike in his tiny dingy and made his way back to the sail boat.  There was barely room for him and the bike and I wondered if he would make it. 
There is an extremely rare bird on the island called the orange-fronted kakariki, a small parrot.  Bird watchers from all over the world come here to photograph it, its that rare.  I did see one, briefly, but wasn’t fast enough to get a picture.  I didn’t get to the island till early afternoon and the birds were not as active.  The boat captain showed me a crude map where they though the birds were nesting.  Once I got on land, the map didn’t really make sense to me.  I had a nice time hiking around, and I found plenty of birds including a very friendly weka.  This flightless bird is about the size of a chicken and are totally unafraid of people.  I’ve seen them elsewhere, it’s a pretty common bird.  This one decided he would share my grapes, regardless if I liked it or not.  He pecked my leg and untied my shoe when I wasn’t feeding him fast enough.  It did make for some great pictures!
Later in the day a boat pulled up and dropped of three professional bird watchers from Holland, all looking for the kakariki.  They had a better map and I discovered that I wasn’t supposed to be hiking around, they were right there by the beach.  We each saw them, no idea if we all saw the same bird or different, but none of us got a picture, so I didn’t feel too bad. 
While going out to the islands and back we saw plenty of wildlife in the harbor.  The hector dolphin is the world’s smallest and most rare dolphin and is found only in New Zealand.  They are easy to identify with its rounded dorsal fin.  We were lucky enough to see several of them as they came pretty close to the boat.  We also saw some shags, or cormorants, as well as several other sea birds. 
There is some really good hiking in the area, unfortunately, I didn’t pick the best one.  I wanted to do part of the Queen Charlotte track, a 71km trail that was advertised as “…leading through beautiful lush native bush along the ridgeline of hills between the sounds, offering amazing views either side”.   The best way to do the hike is to take one of the boats that drop you off at point A and pick you up at point B.   I decided I didn’t want to go to that much trouble and expense, so I found a trail closer to town that I though would also offer great harbour views.  Not so much.  It was straight up and down, through dense vegetation, and only offered the occasional harbour view, which of course were still beautiful.  While it was a good hike, I left wishing I had coughed up the money and done it properly. 

Link to Christchurch photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mm4g5U6s4bocpk46A

Link to Hamner and Kaikaura - https://photos.app.goo.gl/YgyAEvpQ63w3nNZs7

Link to Picton photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/S8GrwMiGDCdDDBsf8

Link to my photography website where you can purchase photos - https://throughlisaslens.zenfolio.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020