Americus

I spent 2 nights at the most friendly campground I've ever seen!  http://www.brickyardgolfclub.com/
The camp host lead me to my site and while I was setting up, people walked by and said hello.  Someone even knocked on my door when he saw my VA tags.  As I was walking Brutus, several people stopped and chatted, much longer than dog walkers usually do.  I was invited to a baked potato potluck where several people made a point to come meet me. Most were snowbirds who came to the campground every winter to play golf at 3 local courses.  They were an older crowd who seemed to be fascinated by my youth, (they didn't believe I was 50) my journey and my past military career and travels.  The host and owner even came up to me at one point and invited me back any time.   I'm certainly going to keep that in mind for my winter home.

I stopped by Habitat for Humanity's Global Village, it was pretty interesting.  I uploaded pictures of the different types of houses to Picasa since they were all so different. I was talking to one of the volunteers who suggested I look into Americorp as well as the Care-A-Vanners.  I forgot all about them, what a great idea.  Its kind of like the Peace Corp for the US.  A great way to make a little money while serving others. 
https://picasaweb.google.com/118205599704530902363/AmericusGa?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzvuMuJ_53AWw#

The weather was great; warm and sunny - just what I was looking for.  Saturday night I checked the weather forecast and saw thunderstorms were in the forecast. I didn't really want to drive during bad weather, so I figured I'd check the weather again in the morning just before I left.  On Sunday morning I heard about all the tornadoes, not something I wanted to be anywhere near.  I went to weather.com to see where the severe weather was forecast, but the maps showed general areas or counties.  Not being from the area, I had a hard time figuring out where I was and where I was going, I had to do a lot of cross referencing with google maps.  It looked like the storms were south of me, so I just went for it! I had plans to meet my friend Cheryl in Macon, so I asked her to check the forecast to make sure I was OK.

Cheryl and I were stationed together in Dover AFB in 1983 and we reconnected a while ago on Facebook. Oh what fun we had back in the day!!  We were stationed near each other in Germany and I went to visit her when she had her son.  He's 25 now, where does the time go!!  We had a great time and I got to meet her husband, who was very nice.  She looked beautiful, just like I remembered her.  We took pictures of course, but it didn't come out, so no pics of that visit. 

I'm now in Lenoir City, Tennessee near Knoxville. I have 2 days until we start the new Habitat build, so I'm going to just relax!  I feel like I've been going non stop since I left Va.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020