Savannah

Savannah was really nice; I may have to go back.  I stayed at Skidway Island State Park for 4 days.  The sites were some of the nicest I've ever camped in.  The lots were huge with a canopy of large trees everywhere.  Of course this means no satellite TV, but who needs it.  Every morning and every evening I walked all over the campground; it was so beautiful. 

I spent one day on Tybee Island where I basically just walked around.  The beach was nice but of course it was too cold to do anything. It was also very, very windy.  I saw a bunch of people in the parking lot with surf boards, but the waves didn't look that big to me.  After checking out a very small 3 room aquarium, I walked about 3 miles (and back) to the light house.  Not much to see in the off season, but it was a beautiful day for a walk.

The next day I took a tour of Savannah.  What a great city, I see why it was voted one of the most walkable in the country.  After a 90 minute guided tour of the city I walked back to everything I wanted to see.  The city is laid out in a grid and every few blocks you come to a beautiful park.  There is a large cemetery right in the middle of town.  According to the tour guide, just before the civil war, the cemetery was too full and people were being buried on top of each other.  The city offered to move some of the graves and cleared out maybe 1/3 of the bodies.  They left the holes open and grave stones were strewed about.  Along came the civil war and an encampment of enemy soldiers.  They were appalled at how un kept the cemetery looked, and how disrespectful the southerners treated their dead, so they cleaned it up before they moved on.  Once the locals got back in there, they found all the gravestones moved from the grave sites.  Rather than chance putting gravestone on the wrong grave, the citizens decided to line the wall with them.   I was a bit confused about the gravestones - if they moved the bodies, why not move the gravestones or get rid of them?  Maybe they moved gravestones from graves they didn’t dig up and meant to put them back.  Whatever, the case, it was very peaceful and there were a surprising number of people hanging out, just as they were in any of the other parks. Down by the river was a statue of the Waving Girl.  Apparently there was a young lady who used to wave a welcome to travelers coming into Savannah.  The same person who did this statue also did the Iwo Jima Memorial in DC. 

My next stop is Americus Georgia, and the Habitat for Humanity's Global Village with life size houses that Habitat has built all over the world.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020