Crazy kids

I can’t believe these crazy kids from the CCC.  They are camping above me and I rarely see them.  I was home early the other day and I watched them all hike right through my clearing on the way to the river.  Apparently, they work all day then clean up down there, in the freezing water!  I watched them straggle back with towels thrown over their shoulder and wet hair.  They are a tough group!  It’s pretty cold at night, I woke up yesterday with no water because the hose was frozen, it’s that cold at night and they are sleeping in tents. 

Last night was a ‘super’ full moon, the one day a year when the moon is closest to the earth.  My whole clearing was lit up, it was so bright!  When I took Brutus out before bed, I could see my shadow. It was beautiful.  (The clearing, not my shadow)

I’ve been hiking a lot in the area around where I live, but there is one trail I heard about that I just can’t find.  It’s supposed to be an old railroad track and I just don’t see it.  I have directions, it says turn on Strawberry road, but there are 3 entrances to the same road.   I’ll keep looking, meanwhile I’m going to check out a hiking trail in town today.  The difference between hiking up here compared to Virginia is the elevation.  We’re at about 6500 feet above sea level and I sure can feel it.  I’m huffing and puffing much more then I should be, even accounting for the steep up and down nature of the trails.  I found one trail the other day that I really liked.  PG&E, the power company, is siphoning off water from the river for hydro power.  The trough runs along a ridge and there is a little trail right next to it.  I wanted to see where it ended, but after only a few miles it went through the employee housing compound and I couldn’t get in. I’ll go back when someone is there, maybe they’ll show me around. It would be interesting to see how they convert the water to power,  It’s not only  peaceful walking right next to the flowing water, but best of all, it’s all level ground.  No hills, rocks or boulders like most of the other trails I’ve been on.  As I was walking the trail, I caught glimpse of a nice hard packed dirt road, also very level.  I would like to take my bike up there, I’ll have to figure out where the road starts. 

I am supposed to work Friday, Saturday and  Sunday, the busy days for the park.  I showed up bright and early Friday morning and my boss said, can you change your days to Tue-Thurs?  No problem.  Since I was there, I went ahead and  worked all day anyway.  We had some fun things on the agenda.  They haven’t re-scheduled the ATV class, so we’re not patrolling the ORV trails yet.  I’ve been working with Kim and one of the things we do is check the upcountry roads, campground and day use areas to see if they are passable yet.  Once the snow is gone, they can be opened.  We went to check one road and some idiot had plowed right through the gate.  The posts are sunk into the ground with concrete and they pulled the post right out of the ground.  I couldn’t believe it, but she said it happens all the time.  I guess with a big enough truck, it would be easy.  Kim drives and I get out and open the gates.  The locks are in a hole in a post sunk into the ground.  Basically you stick your hand into a dark hole, feel around for the lock and try to figure out which key fits.  All in the dark, with one hand, kneeling on the ground reaching in at an awkward angle.  Most of them I get with little difficulty, but one is really hard.  The post is taller than the others and the lock is farther up in it.  There isn’t room for both of my hands, so there is a lot of fumbling around.  I’ll be so glad when we can get that road open for good.  Next week I’ll be working with someone else, we’re making the ORV signs.  It will be a nice change of pace from driving around all day. 

They finally opened up the pass, so next week I’m headed to Reno to see my best girl Stephanie.  Kim and I checked out the pass and I couldn’t believe how much snow is still up there.  We passed several snow mobiles and when we stopped for lunch, there were two guys going snowboarding.  I got some great pictures, including some avalanches. 

Last night I cooked the shrimp I got in Louisiana.  My freezer was stuffed and I couldn’t find anything in it.  As I was digging for the shrimp, I found a lobster tail that I forgot about.  What a nice surprise! The shrimp boil spice I got was pretty smelly and I was warned to cook it outside.  So I got my propane stove out and got the water boiling.  When I next checked on it, the flame had gone out, no more propane.  Uh oh, the other can was almost empty too.  Lucky for me, it had just enough to finish the job and I had a most awesome dinner!  Wonder what else is hidden in the freezer?

I can’t believe how lucky I am, to be able to live the life I’ve dreamed of for years!  When I quit my job in February, I thought I’ll do this for a few months and starvation will set in and I’ll have to get another job.  So far, I still have money in the bank and my bills are paid.  It helps a lot to do volunteer work.  Not only do I feel like I’m doing something for someone else, working with Habitat, or I have a sense of purpose every day working here in the forest.  As an added bonus, I get to cut expenses either by being fed or getting free or reduced hook up sites.  I still want to travel overseas, I’ve been thinking a lot about the Peace Corp.   I recently found out, older Americans can get a 6 month posting as opposed to the year that college age kids get.  I’m going to check it out, I would love to do something like that.  I thought about Americorp, the domestic Peace Corp, but it’s a 10 month commitment.  Much too long, I have too much else I want to do!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020