Death defying adventures

What a harrowing week I’ve had!  I’m leaving the forest in about 2 weeks, so I thought I better get to all the hikes I’ve been putting off.  This week I decided to go all the way up to Sonora Pass and hike the Pacific Crest Trail. The elevation is about 9600 feet so I asked around to see which direction was more level and was told to take the North route.  The first open parking space was next to the trail head, so off I went.  It was a gradual but steady uphill climb and I could see forever, including parts of the trail above me.  I saw this huge rock formation ahead but I thought the trail must pass by it and go up another way.  Not so much I was soon to discover.  After about a mile of trudging uphill, I got to the formation and was surprised to see my path kept going up.  It seemed pretty dangerous, so I turned around and went back down.  I got about a quarter mile away, and turned around to look at the trail again.  It really bugged me to give up so easily.  I discovered the path I originally was on was wrong, I should have been closer to the rock, so I went back and started climbing. The first level was a bit steep with loose dirt and lots of rocks.  I got about ¾ of the way up and I saw a man and his daughter coming down.  They said there was another trail that starts by the bathrooms and takes a longer route up to where we were.  I never saw the bathroom or the other trail.  I figured if the 13 year old kid could come down this trail, I could certainly go up so I climbed the rest of the way and enjoyed the awesome view.  I continued on the path and within about 5 feet, I was treated to a bigger, steeper hill.  Hmm, ok, I made it up that one only to find yet another even steeper, longer hill, this  one with even more loose rock and dirt.  By this point, it was closer to the top then the bottom and I thought the safest thing was to keep going.  This was a really long hill and about 1/3 of the way up I realized I must have gotten off the trail but couldn’t see a better way.  By this point, fear had set in.  I could see a straight shot below me down the canyon with very little to break my fall or slide.  There were a few big rocks where I could get a foot or hand hold and by this time I was on my hands and knees clinging to these few rocks.  It seemed to take forever, but I finally clawed my way to the top.  I lay there on the trail, kicking myself for the precarious position I put myself in, yet pretty proud of my ability to overcome it.  When I stood up, my legs were like jello, so I sat back down and had lunch.  I must say, it was a good lunch and the view was spectacular!  Eventually, I got up and headed down the other trail. Oh how much easier that one was!  On the way I met several people who said “you took what route?  That way is so dangerous!” If only I had known that in advance!  It took me 4.5 hours to walk 4.5 miles, but at the end of the day, it was a successful hike and another good story under my belt.

The hike really wore me out, but I had to work the next day.  Just my luck, Josh and I had to do an erosion control project.  We loaded the quads with picks, shovels and rakes and headed out.  There is a meadow that floods in the spring.  The water crosses the road, goes into a ditch and eventually runs down to a stream.  The water is washing out the dirt road, so we had to build it back up and divert the water pathway.  To do this, we shoveled several yards of existing gravel back on the road, dug a hole on the edge of the road and filled it with boulders.  To get the boulders in place, we had to go find them, then roll them end over end to where we wanted them.  Let me just say, this was no easy task and by the end of the day, I was exhausted.   As we were picking up our tools to go, a tree branch somehow implanted itself on the side of my head.  Oh the blood…. At first, I just put my gloved hand to my head because it smarted a bit.  When I pulled my hand away, my brand new leather glove was covered in blood.  I put my hand back and applied pressure while Josh grabbed the first aid kit.  Even with pressure, blood was pouring out and making a puddle on  the ground.  My glove was now totally saturated.  Josh put a cloth bandage on the wound and it was quickly saturated as well.  Next he grabbed the arm sling and tied it around my head, tying the knot above the wound, really tight!  It hurt, but the bleeding finally stopped.  We rode the quads back to the truck and headed down to the station.  About an hour after the incident, we made it to the ranger station.  Charlie, our boss, was a combat medic in Iraq.  I went to his office, with my head bandaged and dried blood on my face to tell him I needed him to look at my head.  His initial reaction?  Is this a joke?  Charlie, does this look like a joke?  OK I was laughing and joking around, but yes, it was real.  We took the bandages off and I stuck my head under a hose to wash the blood off.  After much hosing, we still couldn’t see the wound, but I could feel it and I felt a piece of the branch sticking out.  At this point, Charlie sent me to urgent care.  Had I been in the Army, he would have pulled the stick out and sent me back to work, but since he was my supervisor, we didn’t want him to have to put that in the accident report.  45 minutes later I was in the valley at Urgent care.  The Dr could feel the wood, but couldn’t see it due to all the dried blood.  They soaked the area for a while and eventually got it wet enough that he could move my hair away with tweezers.  Eventually he found the wound, but not the stick.  At this point let me say that I’ve lost so much blood I expected a huge gash with a tree limb sticking out.  Not so much, the hole turned out to be the size of a pencil eraser.    And the tree branch I felt?  I finally found the tiny, tiny piece of twig in my tangled hair. Very anti-climatic I must say!

The next day, Josh and I had to go back and retrieve the tools we stashed.  We decided to check the rest of the road for erosion damage and do some patrolling.  I’ve never been on this particular ATV trail, but it was pretty rough.  ATV trails are marked much like ski slopes, with green, blue and black markings.  Green is easy like the bunny slope.  Blue is a bit more technical with obstacles, ditches and the like. Black are very difficult and I won’t go on them.  The particular trail we were on was blue.  Because I’m still pretty inexperienced, I’m much slower then Josh.  Normally, he rides ahead and waits for me at a turn.  I was rolling along, taking my time avoiding boulders, ditches and branches.  Eventually, I came to a really steep hill and started up.  About ½ way up, I lost momentum and came to a stop.  So there I was, sitting halfway up another really steep hill.  You know that little voice in your head, the one I consistently ignore?  I was sitting there remembering the ATV I recently flipped just loading it on the trailer, remembering the fire guy who just flipped an ATV and ended up with a fractured back, remembering clinging to the side of the mountain just 2 days ago, wishing I had listened to that little voice.  This time I did listen.  I eased the ATV, ever so slowly, back down the hill and waited for Josh.  Eventually he came back and asked what the heck was I doing.  I said I’m not going up that hill, it’s above my skill level.  We’ll see how long playing it safe will last…

My BFF Stephanie, from Reno, and I met in Bridgeport for one last weekend before I leave the area.  She moved to Reno from DC about the same time I left.  Much like weekends with my other BFF Sylvia, we spent the first day doing absolutely nothing and having  great time.  By late afternoon, we made it to the Travertine hot springs.  This is a natural hot spring out in the middle of nowhere.  OK Bridgeport is in the middle of nowhere too.  The hotel gave us directions, since there isn’t even a sign.  We followed a dirt road to a parking lot, then hiked about a ¼ mile in.  We found a really cool rock formation with 4 pools at the base of it.  The water bubbling out of the rock was super hot, you couldn’t keep your hand in the water for long without getting burned.   The water trickled down into the first pool, which was pretty warm, but not too hot to sit in.  Water from that pool spilled into the next pool, which was a little cooler.  By the time the water got to the 4th pool, the water was noticeably cooler.  When we got there, there were 2 other parties present.  After a short time, they all left and Steph and I had the place to ourselves.  Soon enough a family came along with 2 kids.  The father was explaining to the kids that the pools get cleaned periodically.  Someone pulls the plug and drains them and they scrub the sides with a brush.  It was all Steph and I could do not to laugh out.  There was quite a bit of mud in the bottom of each pool, the most being in the 4th one, which we happened to be in.  We decided to give ourselves a mud bath, so I scooped up a handful and slathered it on me.  After I smeared the 2nd handful  on, I got a good whiff of the stuff.  I never smelled anything so bad in all my life and I just covered my entire upper body with it!  Stephanie was laughing so hard she almost wet herself and of course was pretty quick with the camera, so it’s all documented.  In my defense, we did the same thing with the mud from the first pool and it just had a slight sulfur odor.  I don’t know what the difference was between the 1st and 4th pool, but it’s pretty dramatic!  By this time, I couldn’t wait to go shower so we headed back to the hotel. 
 
We spent the next two days driving through Yosemite, seeing much of the same sights I saw the week before.  We came back to Bridgeport and visited the hot springs again.  This time there was no one there for quite a while.  A German couple came up and we had a nice little visit.  After they left, a young couple came up, complete with a bottle of wine and a joint.  We also had a nice visit with them.  They were locals and informed us that in fact, there normally is a scrub brush where people do indeed scrub the muck off the sides of the pools.  They also confirmed that there are plugs in the pools, which are not natural, but manmade with natural rocks.  Whoever did the work, did a fantastic job. 

Today, our last day, we are just hanging out here in Bridgeport.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020