Yosemite

I’ve spent the last two weeks doing manual labor and it sure is hard!  We found a meadow that someone on an ATV tore up doing donuts.  It’s so stupid that with the thousands of miles of trails, people feel the need to go off the trails and tear up meadows and campgrounds.  Last week we had to build a wooden fence to protect Long Barn meadow.  That involved using an auger that had a mind of its own.  It’s easy enough to use the auger, until you hit rocks.  Rocks make the drill stop turning and the top, which you are holding, begin to spin.  In other words, the drill stops and the auger handles are ripped out of your hands.  There is a rubber safety bar that is supposed to stop everything from spinning.  In theory it sounds great, but in practice, if the handles don’t rip your arms out of your sockets, the bar will break your legs.  OK, that may a bit dramatic, but I do have bruises on my legs where the rubber bar beat me up.  The area is very rocky, so it was a long hard battle just to get 6 holes dug.  We ended up on our hands and knees with a pry bar digging the rocks out and using a post hole digger instead of the killer auger. After 3 days on that fence, we had a group of volunteers come help with another one.  That involved replacing the top poles on a horizontal rail fence.   A thousand times easier! 

There was a group of black powder enthusiasts camping nearby and they were very hospitable.  They brought us deer sausage and invited us to come shoot muskets with them.  That was fun, the muskets were all custom made and they wore homemade buckskin clothes too.  Loading the muskets was quite the process, but I think that was half the fun for them.  The muskets were very long and it was harder to hold still than an M-16.  It didn’t have much kick and they said it’s a much more accurate weapon.  I shot pretty well, but one girl hit the bulls eyes on her first shot.  She backed up a few feet and it the bulls eye again.  They told her she could join their club anytime!  After we were done shooting, they invited us to come back for dinner for a venison pot luck.  Too bad we had to do an evening patrol at the lake, I would love to have hung out with them. 

The next week I only had to work 2 days.  The first day, my boss decided he was going to do some much needed paperwork in the office.  He said I could work on signs. I said I don’t think so, I’ll at home if you need me.  I’m pretty frustrated at how unorganized they are.  There is no plan for what projects need to be done and we waste an unbelievable amount of time each day deciding with we’re going to do.  A few weeks ago I spent hours sorting road signs and plotting the location on the map.  Those signs are now sitting in the floor, shoved back under the snowmobiles.  I then found some 4x4 posts the signs need to go on and cut them to the right size.  Those posts are now sitting on the side of the bldg.  So no, I wasn’t going to do more sign work just to have something to do.   The next day I come to work only to find my boss wasn’t coming in till noon.  Our facility guy was going to rip out a concrete slab on a bathroom on an upcountry campground so I said I’ll go help him.  I love to do demolition!  The concrete slab came up pretty easily, with both of us using sledge hammers.  Picking up the mess was much harder.  We used the smaller pieces to fill in some pot holes and the bigger chunks were going to be used on another project. 

After all that hard work, I decided to head to Yosemite for a few days.  It’s the next park over, so I didn’t think it would be a lot different.  It was!  The scenery was much more dramatic, with huge granite formations and sequoias.  I spent the first day just driving over Sonora pass, through Bridgeport and Mono lake and enjoying the drive.  It took forever to drive thru the park, because it so big and because of all the people.  You can only have dogs in paved roads, so several of the places I would like to have hiked were off limits since I had Brutus with me.  I did find one paved trail where we could check out a sequoia grove.  Man are they big!  Brutus was unimpressed; he took a nap while I carried him down the 1 mile trail and back.  That was pretty much it for the day, so I found a very over priced hotel about 1 ½ hour from the park and hit the sack!  Guess I paid the price for not doing any research and looking for a hotel at 7PM on a Friday night!  The next day I left Beefcake in charge of room security and I headed back to the park.  I saw a lot more the 2nd day including some waterfalls.  Of course, had I come  in the spring, the waterfalls would have had actual water going over them.  There is a nice bike path in Yosemite Valley, so I rode around checking out all the sights without having to worry about parking the truck, which is no easy feat in a crowded parking lot.

I had full internet access, sort of, so I planned out the next leg of my trip. I leave here on 15 Aug and I’ll head up to Lake Shasta for a week.  From there I’ll wander up into Oregon.  My guard unit from Portland recently created a group on Facebook and they are putting together a picnic on 24 Aug.  The timing is perfect and I can’t wait to see everyone!  During my military career, I was with that unit the longest and the one I have the most long term friends from.  I also have cousins in the area and am very excited to reconnect with them as well.  

Today I’m headed over to Pinecrest Lake for an afternoon swim.  I am a bit reluctant to leave the cool mountain air here in the Stanislaus.  Yesterday is the first time I’ve turned on my AC and then it was only on for about 2 hours.  The temp rarely gets up to 80 and its still in the 50’s at night,  Yup, I still turn on the heat first thing in the morning to take the chill out of the air.  I only realize how hot the rest of you are when I venture down to the valley for my weekly grocery run. 

Well, that’s all the news that is news, lets hope I have something more interesting to write about next time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020