Dade City

I’m in Dade City for my last build of the year.  It’s just an hour from Ocala, so I’ll probably come down once a week and build with them as a local volunteer.  The campground is actually a field in a neighborhood.  There were houses here once, but they came down and a Habitat neighborhood was built.  This affiliate gets most of their work done in the winter, by Care-A-Vanners.  They have 6-8 spaces and they are full during the winter months.  We spent the 3 weeks I was here building a house with 2 showers, a kitchen and laundry room for the RVers.  The front of the house has one large room that will be used by a local volunteer to live in.  They actually have a pretty nice set up here, the house will have a pavilion out back and they have a large BBQ/picnic area overlooking a pond that is home to a lot of different birds.  Once this house is done, they will remove several sheds and double the camping spaces.  One side will be for several permanent winter residents , including 2 very nice snow birds from Canada.  The other side will be for the 2 week Care-A-Vanners. 

The crew here is great, as are all the Habitat people I’ve worked with.  The office staff took us out to dinner one night, it was nice to meet them as well.  Usually we only get to know the construction crew.  This was a small CAV build, there were only 3 of us scheduled.  One couple arrived late the 2nd week due to a family illness and the other couple left after just 2 days, also due to a family emergency.  So it was just me and the locals most of the time.  Unlike most builds, the construction supervisor and site supervisor were on site every day.  Both were great to work with, very patient and easy going.  One volunteer, Henry and I were assigned the job of building some steps.  With Henry in the lead, it looked pretty easy, so I decided I wanted to build a set for my RV since I’ll be on one place all winter.  They helped me with that, providing not only the scrap wood, but showing me how to do it.  The set I built were a bit different than the one Henry and I did; mine had fewer pieces.  I wanted as simple as possible since I would be taking them apart and storing them in my storage unit when I leave in the spring.  

Gordon and Marie, from the Massachusetts build, have a house in the next town over, so they came out to the site one day.  Gordon said he may come work once a week after the holidays.  It would be fun to work with him again, and I know he’d fit right in with the other locals.  I went out to their place for dinner and met some friends of theirs.  It was a very nice evening.  Turns out, he lives one street over from Henry.  He’s a really sweet man, I wanted to stop in and say hi, but I forgot all about it till I was half way home.

I noticed a little Papillion wandering around the neighborhood.  I figured she belonged to one of the houses around here, but a neighbor said she had been dumped about a month ago, so I decided to adopt her.  She is a very sweet little dog, who was infested with fleas.  I had to take Brutus to the vet, he hurt his leg somehow.  They checked him out and gave him some anti inflammatory and also gave me some potent flea killer for the new dog, who I decided to call Lexi.  She is about a year old, very well behaved, except sometimes she likes to dig in the clothes hamper and chew up my underwear.  After a bath and the meds, she looked like a new dog.  Sammie the cat is none too thrilled, but she seems to be resigned to having another dog. 

On the weekends I went back to Ocala and hiked with my new friends.  We continued working our way along the trail in segments.  Since I spent the summer hiking in New England, I was more used to rock climbing than hiking long distances, so I chose the shortest distance, usually 5-7 miles.  Each hike offers a long hike with a half way bail out at a different trail head.  Those of us choosing the short hike would park there then be picked up by the long distance hikers and carpool to the starting location.   I was pretty sure I could do the 10-12 miles but why push it? My knee had not gotten any better and I didn’t want to slow the group down.  On the last hike though, most of the people were doing the long hike and they needed one more vehicle.  I thought no problem, I’m up for it.  Usually the hikers have been experienced and maintain a pretty good pace.  This time, however, we were joined by a woman who should not have attempted such a long hike.  On the one hand, you want to get more people involved in the outdoors and show people that these hikes are doable and fun.  On the other hand, there is a certain amount of physical ability required.  This lady, who was nice as could be, just slowed everyone down.  When hiking with a group, there is usually a sweeper, someone who brings up the rear and makes sure no one gets left behind.  We had to stop several times to wait for this lady and she was very out of breath each time her and the sweeper caught up to us.  You could tell she was really struggling.  At one point, we got to a road and convinced her to have her husband come pick her up.  The problem was, he was riding his bike on another trail and was at least an hour away.  As luck would have it, we had run into a biker who was just finishing up and agreed to give this lady a ride the where her husband was.  I know the group was a little disappointed about having to slow down for her, so I decided to take the bail out, so as not to slow them down any more since my knee was starting to bother me.  A guy also taking the shorter hike agreed to take me to the other trailhead to get my truck.  He was a pleasant guy and we were soon chatting away.  Imagine my shock when he pulled into the wrong trailhead!  I said I’m sooo sorry, I don’t know the area and didn’t realize he was going to the wrong trailhead.  I though he knew which one my truck was parked at, so I never even thought to question him.  So we turned around and went back the way we had come.  He seemed really nice about it, bless his heart!  I hope I can return the favor on the next hike.

I finally got an appointment with an orthopedist.  After some x-rays, she said the problems with my knee was just arthritis.  I must admit after getting back on Mobic (an anti inflammatory) and another series of Supartz injections (joint lubricant), it feels so much better. 

I took some pictures of the build and was shocked to see a picture of myself, I just couldn’t believe how big I’ve gotten!  I know I gained back some of the weight I lost, but OMG I just couldn’t believe my eyes.  To be honest, I had noticed my clothes weren’t fitting as well, but to actually see a picture of myself was all the kick in the ass I needed.  Again….  Since then, I’ve gotten back on track with more healthy eating.  Which is not to say I didn’t enjoy the pecan pie for Thanksgiving, but after two pieces, I am proud to say I threw the rest of it in the dumpster.  I absolutely hate the constant struggle with my weight, but all I can do is take it one day at a time. 

For Thanksgiving the dogs and I went to my Mom’s in Kissimmee.  I got there Wed afternoon and decided to drop the dogs off and go run some errands.  Apparently underwear is not the only thing Lexi likes to chew, she completely tore all the stuffing out of Max’s bed.  That’s my mom’s Westie, he’s about 20 lbs and build like a tank.  It didn’t seem to bother him at all, he promptly stuffed himself in Brutus’s very small bed and went to sleep. 

Lexi is a little bigger than Brutus and usually jumps up on the chair to sleep.  But apparently she saw Brutus and Sammie’s little nests in the drawer to the couch and decided she would try it out too.  Well, she got stuck.  I came home one day and Brutus crawled right out, but Lexi was wedged in and needed to be rescued.  Since then she seems content to curl up in my chair.  So now, when I get up, I have her and the cat fighting for my seat.  And when I sit down, I have all 3 of them trying to sit in my lap.  Ah it’s good to be loved!

I was eventually joined by other Care-A-Vanners, and much to my delight, Marlene was one of them.  She was on the West Liberty build and I was so happy to catch up with her and be able to work with her again. Unfortunately, she is only here for 2 weeks, but is going to try and join me next year in Tuscaloosa.  I hope it works out, she is a sweet lady!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020