Ocala

When I arrived in the park in Ocala, I was surprised to find that I was the only camper there.  It’s a very small campground, only 23 sites, but I thought there would be more people there.  The reason this is one of my favorite places is because its right on the Florida Greenway, a series of hiking trails connecting to the larger Florida Trail.  So of course bright and early the next morning, I went for a long hike.  On the way back, there was a guy behind me who struck up a conversation of sorts.  Apparently he was lost, as in, on the wrong trail.  He said he should have ended up at a completely different trailhead then the one we were headed to.  Rather then turn around, he kept going.  He also told me he was hunting mushrooms,  the kind that cures cancer. He walked on the trail for a while then I let him pass me while took a water break.  The rest of the hike he would appear out of the woods with mushrooms in his hand, the disappear again when he spotted another patch.  He pointed out a few to me, but it’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever be out in the woods picking mushrooms.  One, because I hate them, and two, because there are so many that are poisonous.  As for the curing cancer, well I think there would be a lot more people out in the woods if that were true.

By the weekend the campground was packed, including a hoard of boy scouts in the field.  As I walked out my front door Saturday morning, I promptly fell down the stairs.  In full view of the young fellows next to me.  They jumped up to offer assistance, but I told them I was fine.  How mortifying!  The worst part, I really did hurt myself.  I has scratches on my legs, back and arm.  The kind of wounds that not only bleed and bruise, but then scab over.  Luckily nothing was broken!

I spent the weekend checking out campgrounds for the winter.  By far the best was in Silver Springs, just inside Ocala National Forest.  I couldn’t stay where I was because there is a 14 day limit.  I put down a deposit and went to check out the area.  It’s also right on the Greenway Trail and close to other trails in the forest. I have a whole stack of trail maps and guides.  In addition to the trail guides, I also checked out the local hiking clubs and joined 3 that looked like active.    The next day I met one of the groups for a hike and had a great time.  Everyone was really friendly.  They are doing a series of hikes each weekend that will eventually do the entire 110 mile trail.  I came in on the 3rd hike, so I didn’t miss much. 

I headed to Kissimmee to see my Mom and to take a load of unwanted items to my storage unit.  I went thru my entire RV looking for stuff I didn’t need.  I made two piles, one for donating and one for the storage unit.  I then reorganized my storage unit and came back with my couch.  Last year I decided I didn’t need it, I would rather have the space.  In order to get it out the door to the RV, I had to take it completely apart.  Over the summer, I realized I probably shouldn’t have done that, I did need the seating.  Now I had to figure out how to put it back together.   It took a while, but I finally got it rebuilt, for the most part.  There is a drawer underneath for storage and the tracts don’t match up exactly, so the drawer is just sitting there.  This leaves a big gap, which makes Brutus and Sammie pretty happy because they both have little nests dug into the blankets I have stored in it.  The first time I came home and couldn’t find my dog I was a bit concerned, till I saw him squirming out of the drawer. 

There was a small RV show in Tampa, so I went to check it out.  I’ve been contemplating trading in my 5th wheel for a new one, that has the living room up front.  I like that layout much better, but of course, it comes at a price.  Aside from being much more expensive, its 5 feet longer.  That may not seem like much, but when trying to maneuver it around, it makes a big difference.  I prefer the smaller campgrounds and I have a hard enough time at 35 feet.  So I guess, I’ll just keep admiring them from afar.  There is a huge RV show in January, I’ll go to that one and have much more to drool over I’m sure.


No pictures this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020