Krakow

Krakow was a 10 hour bus or train ride from Prague, so I decided it was worth flying; so much faster!  In each country I had to change money and it was confusing to keep up with the different exchange rates.  And should I think in dollars or euro?  In Budapest (Hungarian Forint) it was 283 HUF to $1.  Prague (Czech Koruna) was 24.42 CZK to $1.  In Krakaw, 3.99 PLN to $1 (Polish Zloty).  I didn't even try to figure it out when I changed from HUF to CZK to PLN.  In the Prague airport I had quite a bit of coin left, which you can't usually change, so I bought some kid lunch.  The guys working in the restaurant had a really hard time understanding what I was trying to do. The understood English just fine, it was the concept they had a hard time with.  The young man was trying to buy lunch but he only had a credit card, which kept rejecting.  He went to find an ATM machine and I told the cashier that I wanted to pay for his lunch, as well as mine.  He thought I meant his (cashier) lunch.  I said no, the kid who just went to the ATM.   He said, oh my colleague?  Again no, the young man who was just there, who's credit card didn't work.  They seemed totally baffled, but I handed over my pile of coins (about $15) for both our lunches and hoped it all worked out.  Either way, I got rid of my change and someone got lunch.
I booked an apartment, just a block away from the main train station, for about $120 for 4 days.  There were several messages back and forth about when I would arrive, in fact, they told me what time the bus left the airport, how long the ride and subsequent walk would take and my estimated arrival time of 6PM.  Pretty accurately I would say, as I arrived just 5 minutes earlier than projected.  Much to my dismay, there was a big sign on the door telling me to call their mobile.  Calling would be fine except with no local SIM card, I had no phone service.  45 minutes later, just when I was ready to head back to the train station (free WIFI) and book another room, a young girl showed up.  If she had some reason for not being there, I would have been OK, but she just breezed past me sitting on the steps, with a half assed sorry tossed over her shoulder.  I had already composed a scathing Trip Adviser review in my head; at this point I was ready to demand a refund and go elsewhere.  Just then, an older woman came up.  She took one look at the situation, me standing there scowling and the girl trying to unlock the front door, and laid into the young girl.  It could have been her boss or her even her mother, but she was as mad as I was and the young girl looked totally confused as to what the big deal was.  The woman apologized profusely and just handed me my key.  No check-in, no passport check or anything.  In the end, it was all kinda funny, so I didn't actually leave a review.  The apartment was nice enough, with a bed, kitchen and couch in one room and a separate bathroom.  The building was old, but charming with probably about 10 apartments all together.  Although the office was there, I almost never saw anyone.  It looked like a family business, which is why I thought the older woman might be her mom and not her boss. 
At the train station I had noticed a huge mall next door, with a Carrefour grocery store, so after a quick unpacking, I went to check it out.  Now that was a proper mall and a proper grocery store!  Both were huge and I was in heaven.  I spent at least an hour just wandering up and down the Carrefour aisles, checking out all the food choices.  One thing that surprised me over the course of my 2 week trip was that there was Mt Dew everywhere.  Why it was so prevalent in this part of the world and never heard of just next door was a mystery, but I was happy.   Out in the mall, I found a little cafe that served fresh made pirogi;  they were awesome! 
On Wednesday I had mapped out a route that would take me for a walk around a huge park in the center of Krakow.  Planty Park encircles Stare Miastro or Old Town.  Until the early 19th century, Old town was surrounded by medieval city walls.  The park is 5.2 acres (21,000 SM) and has many monuments, fountains and smaller gardens.  Within the park boundaries are several historic sites, the first of which is the Florian Gate with the Barbican.  This is one of only 3 fortified outpost that still exist in Europe and was originally part of the defensive wall.  The Florian Gate is a stone tower, built in the 14th century as part of the fortifications guarding against attacks.  The Barbican, which adjoins the Florian Gate, is a huge, round fortress built in 1498.  This one time city gateway has a moat, an inner courtyard and seven turrets.  I was really impressed with this park, there were many large green spaces, nice shady tree lines pathways and fountains everywhere.  The park basically circles Old Town so once you come out of the green space, you find yourself on cobble stone streets and some truly beautiful old buildings.  
Krakow managed to avoid the wide spread destruction of WWII and is said to have some of the most beautiful architecture in eastern Europe.  At the center of Old Town is Rynek Główny or Main Market Square.  Krakow became a city in 1257 and this square has been the city's hub ever since.  It's not only the largest medieval plaza in Europe at 5-10 acres, depending on which guide book you look at, it's often said to be the most beautiful.  One thing that set this apart from many other squares I'd seen; there were no hawkers selling things like selfie sticks, sunglasses or the ever present blankets spread out with purses and tennis shoes.  In fact, now that I think of it, I don't think I saw any of this in the 3 cities I visited.  What I did see, were lots and lots of bubbles.  They had made huge nets with many holes, tied between two sticks.  You dip the net in soapy water and swing it around, it blankets the area with thousands of bubbles of all sizes.  The kids just loved it and I must admit, even I stopped to watch once and a while.
At the center of the plaza is Cloth Hall (Sukiennice), built in the 14th century.  This was the worlds first shopping mall.   Even today, the long narrow building is still crammed with merchants selling all manner of goods, from woodcarvings, glass, souvenirs, lace, pipes and more.  There is also an underground museum on the history of Cloth Hall and the city of Krakow.  I never made it to that, or the underground city tour.  I did notice big underground shopping areas at all the metro stations.  Most of it was fast food kiosks and convenience stores, but there were a fair amount of souvenir shops too. 
The Gothic Town Hall Tower, built in the 13th century stands to the left of Cloth Hall.  The tower has been a leaning since 1703 when high winds pushed it 55 centimeters out of aliment.  It's mechanical clock dates back to 1524.  Like the nearby Cloth Hall, the tower has a vast underground cellar that now houses a cafe and theater.  In the past it was a torture chamber and a popular beer house.  To the right of Cloth Hall is the 14th century Church of the Virgin Mary, one of the most famous churches in Poland because of its giant carved altarpiece.  The greatest sculptor of the Gothic era was Veit Stoss or Wit Stwosz (1440 to 1533)  It took him 12 years to carve the 3 story wooden altarpiece and it was his greatest achievement.  Also in the square is the tiny St. Adalbert's church, which was built in the 11th century.  I basically spent my time just walking around Old Town, Market Square and the surrounding Planty Park. It rained off and on and the afternoon seemed to be more on then off, so I called it an early day.
Thursday I went to Wawel Castle, clearly not an original idea as it was packed!  The castle sits on a hill overlooking the Vistula river.  Built in 1138, what was once called Wawel's Cathedral was the residence and coronation place for the kings of 3 Polish dynasties.  After fire destroyed much of the castle in 1499, several architects were invited to rebuild it.  They included Polish, Italian, German and Dutch artists and you can see their influence today, if you know anything about architecture, which I sadly don't.  The castle didn't really look like a fortress, except for the huge torrents in the corner.  Wawel’s Cathedral is a beautiful church, built in 1320, that takes up one corner of the grounds.  I went in, but it was too crowded to even move around.  There were many adjoining chapels, added on as the church was renovated over the years.   I tried looking at them, but there was such a crush of people you could hardly move.  One thing I wanted to see were the church bells.  You had to walk up several stories and the staircase was very narrow and steep. We started seeing bells on the 4th floor and each time we went up another level, we were met with more bells.  They were massive and I couldn’t even imagine what it sounded like up there when they were all ringing.  At the top of the bell tower, we were rewarded for all our hard climbing with a beautiful view of Krakow.  Its so different looking at these cities, then in the US for example, or even the more modern European cities.  Take away the cars and power lines and you can imagine this is exactly what the city looked like hundreds of years ago.  There are no glass enclosed, steel skyscrapers, in fact, there are hardly any buildings over a few stories tall.  You can see the red tile roofs and church steeples that have turned green over the centuries of oxidation.  There are green spaces everywhere you looked. 

Instead of checking out the rest of the overcrowded castle, which included the royal apartments, treasury and armory, I decided to focus on the outside gardens, which were alive with colorful blooming flowers.  There were walls covered in ivy and some really pretty arched doorways leading to who knows where.  Underneath the castle is the Dragon’s Cave (Smocza Jama).  There are several caves in the hill the castle is built on.  Legend has it, a huge fire breathing dragon lived in the largest one.  He liked to terrorize the people of Krakow, until one day the shoemaker's apprentice gave him a sheep stuffed with sulfur.  The sick dragon drank crawled back into his cave and died.  The apprentice married the princess and they lived happily ever after, in the Wawel castle.  You can go from the castle down to the river by way of this cave.  I didn't see any dragons but it was a cool little cave.  At the entrance was a huge iron statue of the dragon and it actually breathed fire.  I wanted a picture of it, but sadly, there were kids climbing all over it.  He did occasionally breath fire way over their heads, but unless it actually ate one of the little climbers, there was really nothing to see. 
Google Maps once again was on the fritz, but I found a city map and plotted the course to my next destination, the Jewish Quarter.  I wanted to go on a tour of Schindler's factory, but I realized too late that these were two different destinations.  Where I ended up was the Old Synagogue or 'Stara Synagoga'.  It's the top Jewish monument in Krakow and one of the most ancient places of worship for Jews in Europe.  Built in the 16th century, it was destroyed by fire shortly after.  It was reconstructed but destroyed again by the Nazis during WWII.  It was rebuilt for a 3rd time in the 1950.  The problem with this Synagogue was that it looked more like a factory then a church, which is why it took me a while to realize why there were no signs saying Schindler’s Factory.  Instead, it now houses the Jewish Museum.  After walking around the Jewish Quarter, I found a nice little cafe serving traditional Polish food.  I had the absolute best Polish pancakes or Placki ziemniaczane, along with more pirogi.  It was way too much food to eat, but it was so good!  With my belly full from an early dinner, I was glad I had such a long walk to get back home.
By Friday I had seen most of what I wanted to see, so I just wandered around town a bit.  I had seen St. Joseph's Church (Kościół św. Józefa) in the Podgórze district from a distance and it was even more beautiful up close.  It had so many spires and the brick was several different shades of red.    Compared to the other churches I had visited, this one was very modern, it was built in 1905. 
The next church was a very simple white structure.  The Church of St. Stanislaw (Kosciól na Skalce, "Church on the Rock") is a Paulite church and monastery near the  river.  It's named after a bishop who excommunicated King Boleslaw.  The king didn't care for that, so he had him beheaded and dismembered, inside the church.  Very Game of Thrones I thought.  According to legend, the bishop's body somehow miraculously put itself back in one piece.  St Stanislaw was canonized by the Pope in Assisi in 1253, becoming the first native saint.  He's still the patron saint of Poland.   
Under the church was a simple chapel with multiple crypts in a row on each side.  The church upstairs was almost over the top ornate on the inside, very 'busy'.  There were at least 5 different alters. A bit much for my taste, I thought the outside was much prettier.  On the grounds was a very nice fountain near some statues of who I guessed to be former bishops of the church.  I thought the chapel and grounds were very pretty and a nice peaceful place for contemplation under the huge shade trees.
And just like that, my trip to Eastern Europe came to a close.  It was time to head home, although I admit I was very tempted just keep traveling.  I was having such a wonderful time, I wanted to see more of this part of the world.  The cities were absolutely beautiful, the people were very friendly and everything was really cheap.  I paid on average about €30 a night and that includes the two apartments I rented.  I definitely will go back, I would love to see some of the smaller villages that are so rich in history.  Another reason I was reluctant to return to Malta; they were having a terrible heat wave!  The heat combined with the high humidity  and the lack of AC makes it nearly unbearable, which is why anyone who can, leaves for the months of July and August.  But of course Mic was there, and I missed him.  As you may recall, his mom Tove was visiting from Denmark.  I had timed my travels so I would be home a few days before she left, so I stuffed all my dirty laundry in the suitcase one last time and headed home. 
 
 
Link to pictures
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020