Prague

On Friday, the 2nd leg of my Eastern European trip took me to from Budapest to Prague.  I had heard about two travel apps called Busradar and GoEuro.  Both compare methods of travel; is it cheaper/faster to go by train, plane, car or bus?  It tells you the company, the timetables and exactly which bus/train to take.  They were both so easy to use, I couldn't believe I had never heard of them before.  Surprisingly, the bus and train were basically the same time and price, about €20 for a 7 hour journey.  I picked Flexbus, for no particular reason and set out.  The bus had WIFI and pretty comfortable seats.  I chose the very back, thinking I would have more room.  Well, I would have, had the seat belt holder not bitten into my backside the whole way.  I was fine if I sat straight up, but leaning into the window to sleep just wouldn't work.   Oh well, it was only 3 hours to Vienna, where I had a one hour layover.  
When we stopped, the only place to eat was a little food truck that served currywurst and fries.  I got to practice my German, which was apparently well understood, but she kept answering me in English.  At the appointed time, I went over to the bus terminal, but didn't see my bus listed.  There were plenty of people standing around and after about 15 min I asked an English speaking man named Michael what was going on.  No one seemed to know anything and the bus was now quite late, so he volunteered to go check at the desk.  He reported back that they didn't know anything.  The driver had not called in so they didn't know if he was just delayed or what.  About an hour later, one fellow in our group tried to call the company, but they didn't answer.  Repeated visits to the ticket desk revealed they still knew nothing and we still couldn't get the main office to answer the phone, so I went on Facebook and messaged them.  They replied that the bus was delayed due to 'an operational situation'.  20 min later, all the passengers got a text saying the bus will be 2.5 hours late due to 'an operational situation'.  Apparently no one in their front office even knew there was a problem until they got my message.  Not a good first impression!  Well, we all got a free voucher for the next trip, so OK, I'll give them another try.
While we were waiting, I got to know Michael.   He was a retiree as well, he travels as much as he can on his limited pension; staying in hostels and packing his lunch instead of eating out.  He was an attorney, but gave that up for a career in classical music.   We chatted about many different things; he was very intelligent, interesting, well educated, and well traveled, but I got the impression that he was a no frills kinda guy.  When we finally reached Prague, we were gathering our bags and he commented on the fact that I had a large suitcase.  I reminded him that I was traveling for just over 2 weeks.  He said so was he yet he managed to have everything he needed in a tiny carry on.  I decided not to point out that the entire seat of his pants were ripped, and if those were his 'going out in public' pants, I probably didn't want to know what else he packed.  Yes indeed, he had on jean shorts and one entire butt cheek, covered by thin blue nylon bikini briefs, got a back row view to everywhere he went!  Well, you sure do meet some interesting people when you travel!
In Prague, I opted for a hotel instead of an apartment, mainly because I couldn't find one near the city center.  As it turns out, neither was my hotel. (Hotel Pawlovia).  Google maps was still giving me problems, and my mobile charging port wouldn't connect to my battery pack.  I managed to get myself to what was supposed to be the nearest metro stop to my hotel, just as darkness set in and the battery on my phone died completely.  I found a map and guesstimated where I was going and set out.  I thought I could take a tram close to my destination and walk the rest of the way, but soon realized the tram was going the wrong way.  In the meantime I had gotten my cell to charge a little from my laptop, so I went back to the metro stop and tried again, this time on foot.  Eventually I made it to the hotel, but it was late, I was hungry and there was nothing around.  The hotel had a restaurant, but it was closed.  The girl on the desk timidly offered to  make me a hamburger, but said she was afraid how it would turn out since she didn't know how to cook.  (OK seriously, who can't cook a hamburger?)   I managed to convince her that she could do it, it would be great, so she headed into the kitchen and whipped up not only a really good burger but fries as well.  Well, that was an interesting day.
Wouldn't you know it, Saturday morning I walk outside my hotel and there's a bus stop!  My hotel was on the outskirts of town, in a residential area, with huge parks nearby.  It was a nice enough place, I would say more homey, old world charm then modern, but very comfortable.  It was small, with only 6 to 8 rooms and an indoor pool that I had to myself each evening.   They had a lot of food out for breakfast, but I only ever saw one person so I'm not sure who it was all for.  I ventured out, hopeful that I could find my way around when suddenly, Google maps was back with us. 
This time, traveling was much easier; a short bus and metro ride and I was in the city center.  I had listened to a Rick Steves podcast "A Walk Across Prague" and he said " Huge Wenceslas Square, lined with great buildings and loads of history, is the focal point of Prague's modern, New Town Quarter. It's named for King Wenceslas, the "good king" of Christmas-carol fame, sitting astride the big equestrian statue at the top of the boulevard. The statue is a popular meeting point among locals, who like to say, "I'll meet you under the horse's tail."  I thought that would be a good place to start, but other then the massive statue, it was just a busy street with a nice park running down the middle.  The buildings were beautiful and the energy was positive and upbeat as people walked along, shopped or chatted in the many cafes along the way.  This area was much more modern, hence the name New Town I guess.  The podcast talked about the Velvet Revolution:  "...Jan Palach and Jan Zajíc, were two college students who set themselves on fire in 1969 to protest the Soviet Union's invasion of the Czech Republic the year before.  Twenty years later, giant crowds converged on the square, jingling their key chains and chanting, "It's time to go now!" in the lead-up to the peaceful overthrow of the communist government."  I guess it's called a velvet revolution because it was so peaceful.  
The shopping in that area looked really good, but I never found the time to go back.  I continued walking down the street toward Old Town when I stumbled upon Havelská Market.  Like the guide books said, very touristy, but I enjoyed it.  It's really just a group of stalls selling arts & crafts, leather, wooden toys and other souvenirs.  Many of the stalls were selling Kitchen Witches.  These are some pretty hideous witch marionettes, complete with their own broom and an on off switch that makes them cackle like, well, a witch.  Of course I had to have one.  They are said to ward off evil spirits and bring good luck to the kitchen.  Who couldn't use that?  They were also selling baked goods including the chimney cakes that I liked so well in Budapest.  Unlike the previous ones, these were filled with creams, jellies, or ice cream.  That proved to be messy, so I stuck to the plain ones rolled in nuts or cinnamon.
I continued on toward Old Town Square and the crowds of tourists picked up dramatically the closer I got.  The streets were very wide with more then enough room for the hordes of pedestrians.  As I mentioned in my last blog, I want to know more about architectural styles and never would it have come in more handy.  I wish I knew something about the different styles I was seeing.  The guide books all talked about this area being the heart of the city and being lined with magnificent buildings and even my uneducated eye could see the diversity in the architecture - Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, and Art Nouveau all in the same city center.  Old Town Square has been around since 1091.  The website A View on Cities (http://www.aviewoncities.com/prague/oldtownsquare.htm)  describes it best: "The square and surrounding streets are pedestrian zones, and during summertime tourists relax and have a beer here at one of the many outdoor cafés while being surrounded by many remarkable medieval buildings. The whole square is bordered by a large number of colorful houses, palaces and churches. Some of the most prominent buildings around the square are the Old Town Hall (famous for its astronomical clock), the Týn Church, the Kinský Palace and the St. Nicholas Church. The most famous building on the Old Town Square is the fourteenth-century Old Town Hall. Its Gothic tower, built in 1364, is one of the most recognizable buildings in Prague. The tower is famous for its magnificent astronomical clock, built in 1410. It is the oldest such clock in Europe. Throngs of tourists gather in front of the clock every hour to witness the procession of miniature figures."  Sadly, though I saw the clock, and was in the square several times, I never thought to go watch it on the hour.  
From the square, I picked up a free walking tour and we headed to the nearby Jewish Quarter.   There were some beautiful synagogues and the Old Jewish Cemetery.  This area dates back to the 13th century, when even then, Jews were forced out of their homes and into ghettos.  The Jewish Quarter has survived wars, city restructuring, and building demolitions over the centuries.    These buildings are the best preserved Jewish monuments in all of Europe, perhaps helped by the fact that Hitler brought in Jewish artifacts from all over the world.  He intended this former ghetto to become a "Museum to an Extinct Race"   
I spent a lot of time in the square and walking all over Prague and I couldn't help but notice all the segways.  They were everywhere!  Some were operated by tour guides trying to drum up business but a significant number were people just using them to travel around.  One tour guide told us to watch out, not for the guy with a cell phone in one hand and lunch in the other, he was probably pretty experienced.  Who you needed to get out of the way of, were the people you saw in helmets because they were still trying to figure out how to stop.  I also noticed a huge number of college age backpackers, many obvious tourists who had brought their dog on holiday, and one really odd observation.  I rarely saw anyone smoking.  Such a contrast to Malta because everyone here smokes.  The sidewalks are very narrow and you have to really watch out that you don't get burned by someone's cigarette.
After the walking tour, I took a little tourist train up to the castle and to the outlying areas.   To be honest, it was hot,  I was tired, and the thought of walking up to the castle could not have been less appealing.  The problem was, once we got to the castle, it started raining. Instead of getting out and exploring a bit, I just kept right on riding, all the way back to Old Town Square.  Of course the rain stopped by this time, but the castle would have to wait for another day as I started thinking about dinner.  I know, I should have had local food, but I found the best little Vietnamese restaurant called Banh Mi Makers.  I eat the same dish everywhere I go and this was hands down, the best I ever had.  It's a very simple dish called Bun Thit Nuong and its just vermicelli rice noodles with grilled chicken or pork and some veggies with fish sauce. 
 Near the square were several Thai massage parlors in a row.  There were people outside trying to entice tourist in, and since I didn't want to be rude, I complied.  The people were actually pretty funny.  One looked like a blond body builder, dressed in traditional Thai robes with a mannequin of a Thai man strapped to his back.  All of them had on varying degrees of funny costumes, but his was by far the worst.  When I walked into the room, there were about 15 lounge chairs in the center and another 8 chairs along the huge window and back wall.  It was totally silent as I whispered that I wanted a foot massage to the receptionist.  I reached in my bag for my wallet and suddenly out of no where, I heard what sounded like a cackling witch.  OMG my kitchen witch got turned on and now I couldn't find the off button!  The whole room exploded in laughter as I made a hasty exit into the hall to shut her up. I did get my massage, but I like my local place in Malta much better.
On Sunday I went on a Discover Prague Tour (http://discover-prague.com) of Kunta Hora, an old silver mining town about an hour from Prague.  What draws tourists like me is the Sedlec Ossuary or Bone Chapel.  This fascinating place is located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints.  Here are the bones of between 40,000 and 70,000 people.  What makes this place so fascinating is what they did with the bones.  According to Wikipedia - In 1278, Henry, the abbot of the Cistercian monastery in Sedlec, was sent to the Holy Land.  He brought back a small amount of earth and sprinkled it over the abbey cemetery. News of this spread and the cemetery in Sedlec became a desirable burial site throughout Central Europe.  In the mid 14th century, during the Black Death, and after the Hussite Wars in the early 15th century, many thousands were buried in the abbey cemetery, so it had to be greatly enlarged. 
 Around 1400, a Gothic church was built in the center of the cemetery with a vaulted upper level and a lower chapel to be used as an ossuary for the mass graves unearthed during construction, or simply slated for demolition to make room for new burials.  After 1511, the task of exhuming skeletons and stacking their bones in the chapel was given to a half-blind monk of the order.  In 1870, František Rint, a woodcarver, was employed to put the bone heaps into order, yielding a macabre result.  They have been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings, such as the enormous chandelier containing at least one of every bone in the human body.  It hangs from the center of the room with garlands made from skulls.  There are piers and monstrances flanking the altar, a coat of arms of House of Schwarzenberg, and the signature of Rint, also made from bones, on the wall near the entrance.  The ossuary is among the most visited tourist attractions of the Czech Republic - attracting over 200,000 visitors annually. 
The tour included lunch, so our small group of about 15 headed to a nearby Czech restaurant called Pivnice Dacicky.  I sat with a family of Americans who worked at the embassy in London.  They were really fun and their teenage kids seems really engaged, in both the tour and the other tour goers.  Usually you see kids this age only engaged in their electronics.  There was also a young man from Columbia, who had studied in Amsterdam, then come to Prague for an internship in International Banking.  We had some Australians and Scottish tourists as well.   We had a wonderful conversation at lunch and the food itself was absolutely fabulous!  I had a wild boar goulash where the meat just melted in my mouth.  It came with gingerbread dumplings which was dark sweet bread loaded with nuts and fruit. The paring sounds really weird, but believe me, it was out of this world!  I really wish I had gotten some of the bread to go.
After lunch we headed off to The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady and Saint John the Baptist.  The church was built first in the Gothic style around 1300 as one of the first High Gothic building in the Kingdom of Bohemia and as the first church in the kingdom resembling French Gothic cathedrals.  The Hussites burnt it to the ground in 1421.  In 1700, after 200 years of ruin, the church was rebuilt in the Baroque Gothic style.  This church, like every other one I toured, was stunning.   We got to go up in the rafters and see the church bells as well as a great view of the surrounding countryside.  One wall was covered in murals, depicting some of the jobs the silver miners did.  There was a beautiful spiral staircase and I took some really great pictures; very artsy I thought.  In doing research on the church after, I see it wasn't just my opinion, there are many Google images of the exact same shot I took! 
We also went to The Saint James church and the Saint Barbra church.  After a while, the do tend to blend into one, but all were very beautiful.  Come to think of it, the murals depicting mining jobs were in the Saint Barbara church, which also had some elaborate stain glass windows.  After walking around a bit more, it was time to head back to Prague.  The conversation on the train was very lively, as we solved most of the world problems in the hour long ride.  We discussed economics, politics, refugees and more.  If only our small group ran the world.
The tour was so good I decided to do another one to the Theresienstadt / Terezin Concentration camp on Monday.  Also an hour train ride from Prague, the fortress of Theresienstadt was initially built in 1790 on orders from the emperor of Austria.  It was supposed to be part of a larger system of forts, but that dream was never realized.  It was used for political and military prisoners in the 20th century.  Gavrilo Princip, who played a part in starting WWI by assassinating Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914, was a prisoner until he died in 1918 of TB.  In 1940, the Gestapo took over the town of Terezin and turned the citadel into a prison.  By the end of the war, some 32,000 political prisoners, mostly Czech, had been housed there.  5,000 were women.  In 1942 the Germans annexed the walled town of Theresienstadt (the former fortress) and turned it into a Jewish ghetto/concentration camp.  The camp became known as the destination for the elderly as most of the Jews were older than 65. The younger prisoners were merely housed there on their way to the extermination camps.   At one point, the camp commander forced all 40,000 prisoners to stand in subzero temperatures for hours while a count was taken.  300 of them died of hypothermia. 
In 1943 the Danish Red Cross scheduled a visit for the following year.  The Nazis used that time and prison labor, to turn the camp into an outwardly appearing model Jewish settlement, complete with fake shops and cafes.  In reality, some 33,000 inmates died of malnutrition, disease, and torture.  The Nazis made a propaganda film, showing how happy the 'citizens' were and how nice the 'community' was.    Jewish prisoner and actor/director Kurt Gerron (he appeared with Marlene Dietrich in The Blue Angel) was forced to direct the film, which was shot in 11 days.  Upon completion, Gerron and most of the cast were deported to Auschwitz. Gerron was murdered in the gas chamber less then a month later.  Many, many prisoners, including the Czech inmates used to build the new buildings, were also sent to Auschwitz so the camp wouldn't appear overcrowded.  The Red Cross was fooled and came away with a very positive impression of the town.  In late 1944 the camp was 'liquidated' and 24,000 more Jews were sent to the death camps. All told, 144,000 Jews were sent to Theresienstadt.  1600 children were then sent to Auschwitz to die.  33,000 died in the camp due to the deplorable conditions and torture. 88,000 were sent to other death camps, only 17,247 survived. 
In walking around Terzein, it definitely looked more like a town and not at all like a concentration camp.  Strangely, there are many people now living in the former ghetto, and the site of such suffering.  We visited the cemetery where 9000 prisoners were buried in less than a year.  There were so many they had to build a crematorium, which is now a memorial / museum.  The ovens were a stark reminder that these people had their dignity taken from them even in death as the entire facility was layed out like an assembly line.  On the day we went, someone had put a vase of flowers on the carts used to push the bodies into the oven.  One person in our group was so overcome with emotion that she left the memorial in tears.   
Our next stop was an underground bunker, now also a museum.  It contained replicas of the cheap wooden coffins the victims were buried in.  When they no longer had burial space and the cremations began, the remains were placed in small paper bags.  We also visited the barracks and could see for ourselves, just how many people could be housed in a small area.  We saw row after row of bunk beds. 
 
 Probably one of the most poignant displays were the artwork created by the prisoners themselves.  Most were drawings depicting everyday life or some attempts to convey how bleak things were for them.  There were also sheets of music with hidden messages, composed right under the Nazis nose.  The messages were written in Hebrew, which looked like musical notes.  The train ride back was much less lively as we all tried to process what we had seen.  We got back to Prague early enough that I could stop in the Vietnamese restaurant one more time before heading back to my hotel and packing for the final city on my trip, Krakow.   
 
Link to pictures:

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020