Funny story

So I mentioned in my previous post, how remote the campground is.  I’m in a clearing with 5 sites, spread around in sort of a triangle.  Kimberly,  my soon to be neighbor, helped me park.  After much, much maneuvering , I got lined up to a site.  When I got out for a final check before unhooking, we realized there was no sewage hookup.  So I had to exit the clearing and start all over again.  The next site I picked has 2 hookups side by side.  Again, after much maneuvering, I finally got settled in and Kimberly went back to work.  I unhooked my truck and moved it out of the way, to the middle of the clearing.  I stopped with the front tires resting against a tiny little mound of dirt.  When I went to back out, I realized my truck was stuck.  Really, really stuck!  Note to self, don’t get mad and floor it, it just makes matters worse.  After much consideration, sweat, swearing etc, I realized one tire was spinning endlessly in really soft sand and none of the other tires were even moving.  Explains why 4 wheel drive, low gear, and rocking wouldn’t work. So I went digging around my camper for my ice pick.  Of course a shovel would have worked better, but I didn’t have one.  Did I mention I’m out in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone and no Home Depot nearby?  I removed all the soft sand, which had really piled up!  By now, the one tire was sunk down to the hub cap.  I dug around the offending tire, made a ramp of sorts and wedged some carpet under it.  When I hit the gas, slowly this time, the tire spun the carpet right out from under it.  Back to the drawing board.  I wedged the carpet back under the tire and this time put a two by four behind the tire.  I was hoping that would stop it from spinning and let the other tires kick in, or give the tire some traction.  This time, I gave it just a tiny bit of gas and after what seemed like forever, I was out.  Oh what a hole I dug!!!  The whole ordeal lasted well over an hour, but in the end I prevailed! 

Comments

  1. Lisa, you are so resourceful, not to mention determined. Great job in getting your truck out of that hole. That had to be a long, frustrating hour of work, but you did it, girl. Hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020