Made it to California

I had a great visit with friends on the way to California.  My best friend Sylvia lives in El Paso.  We are so much alike it’s shocking, we even have the same birthday.  She would also like to get an RV, so we spent the morning checking some out at a local dealer.  Next was a light lunch at our favorite, Taco Bell.  When we were in the Oregon Air National Guard we used to ride to drill together, from Salem to Portland.  On the way home it became a tradition to stop at Taco Bell.  She would unwrap my burrito and fix it just right before handing it to me as we drove home.   Our other favorite place to eat is Red Lobster, so we had to save room for the big feast.  In between we treated ourselves to a spa day, complete with massage, facial, and pedicure.  For an after dinner treat, we picked up her mom and headed to Sonic.  I just wanted a cherry slush for the next day’s drive, but I did manage to choke down an ice cream.  A more perfect day could not have been had, unless our other best friend Stephanie was there. 

Next stop was Casa Grande in Arizona where my good friend Angela, also from the Oregon ANG, lives.  I had the pleasure of working with Angela in another job with the National Guard Counter Drug program, which she was kind enough to hook me up with.  We had a great visit, catching up on news of friends from both jobs.  She came over to the RV park when I arrived for grilled hamburgers then the next day we visited some interesting ruins in the local area.  For dinner she invited me to her house where her wonderful husband Tom grilled steaks.  Another perfect day!  Angela lives in Arizona part time and in Washington part time.  I look forward to my trip to the northwest when I leave here and plan to spend more time with her.

I finally made it to Stanislaus National Forest on Saturday.  I’ll be volunteering in the Summit District, which is pretty remote.  On the way I stopped at the nearest Super Wal-Mart and stocked up.  It’s 3 hours away!  I had a heck of a time finding space for everything.   There is a Safeway 45 minutes away, but its more expensive, not to mention the cost of fuel to get there, around $4.40 for diesel in California compared to $4 that I paid all across the south.  My freezer and cabinets are full, hopefully I won’t need much more then milk and bread which I can get at a local market.

I have satellite TV, but no internet and my phone signal is roaming.   I’m about 25 miles, down winding roads, from the nearest town with McDonalds or Starbucks, but I saw a little cafĂ© right around the corner that is supposed to have wireless internet access.  I’m having lunch there today, I’ll see if I can get a signal.  The town is called Strawberry, but I only saw two restaurants, so town seems a strong word.  There are 165 full time residents. 

It’s beautiful here!  I’m in an employee campground, of 5 sites, and I’m the only one here for now.  There is a young lady I met when I arrived who is currently in the barracks, but will move up here in about 3 weeks.  We have to go down a long, narrow, unmarked dirt road, past a locked gate to get here, so I feel pretty safe.  Plus, I do have Brutus Beefcake for protection.  OK, maybe he wouldn’t be very much help in a fight, but as backup, I do have a handgun.  The campground is in a large clearing and just down the hill is a river.  I’m told there is a trail that will take me to the ranger station, I’ll check that out today.  Yesterday I hiked around Summit  Lake.  It was only 4 miles, but over very difficult terrain.  Lots of boulders and hills.  I slept very well last night! 

There is still snow on the ground in the shady spots up here.  I’ll have to check the elevation, but we’re pretty high up judging from the climb to get here.  During the day the temperature is about 85, but at night it drops down to the 40’s.  I have both a fan and heater in the living room.  The first night here it was really cold.  I woke up in the middle of the night freezing.  I only had a light blanket on my bed, but in the storage compartment was a warm down comforter.  I knew there was supposed to be a meteor shower, so I got up, got dressed and went outside.  There are lots of trees surrounding the clearing, but there is a good view of open sky in the middle. I couldn’t see any meteors though, so I got the comforter and went back to bed.   

I’m headed to the ranger station this afternoon to meet everyone and will take a class tomorrow to learn about Off Highway Vehicles (OHV)  Not sure what the difference is between that and ATV or ORV, but I’ll find out.  I think I suppose to learn all the local laws too.  The rest of the day I plan to spend checking out the woods around me.  Once the weather gets warm enough, I think there are some deep spots in the river to swim in, or at least soak in.  Right now the water is freezing, I’m hoping it warms up.   

Ah success, the Strawberry Inn restaurant has internet connection, life will go on!  Good food and a great view makes this my new hangout.   I made it to the ranger station, but didn’t meet any supervisors.  I did meet a guy from the civilian conservation corp.  He said about 20 people would be moving to my neighborhood next week,  on the road above me.  I’m invited to a meal/bonfire/beer.   I may go out with them one day, they do trail work.  He showed me some really good trails, once the roads open up.  Many are above where I am now. 



https://picasaweb.google.com/118205599704530902363/Wilderness?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiN4P_Yx-mTdQ#

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020