Houma week 2


One thing I've noticed, it's much easier doing laundry when you don't have to dress up every day. Nothing to fold or hang right away so it doesn't wrinkle, no lingerie to be careful with. Just jeans, workout pants and t-shirts. Getting ready in the morning is a breeze too, hair goes into a pony tail, minimal makeup and out the door. It’s great until I see a picture of myself, than I wish I had put on nicer clothes and taken more time on my hair and makeup. But then again, I’m building, painting and sanding all day, so that makes no sense, so I just don’t look at the pictures!

Monday the weather was beautiful so Barbara and I decided to eat dinner outside. I believe the mosquitoes ate more than we did, even though we practically bathed in bug spray! Remember this is the campground I stayed in a few weeks ago where I had to fumigate my truck after it was invaded by a hoard of mosquitoes? It hasn’t improved. The sites are so small there is no room to put up my screened canopy, so no more eating outside.

The last week of the build was better. I finished sanding two big doors and spent the rest of the week working with Doug to build a big counter. Barbara, who flat out refused to do anymore paining, did some repair work on doorways and helped us on the counter. Wendy remained on full time paint duty while John and Charlie finished their carport ceiling project. There was more camaraderie as we got to know each other better. We went out to dinner twice and had a great time. The first week, we went to Boudreau & Thibodeau's. It was good but they were out of alligator, which we wanted to try. We went to Big Al's next. They had alligator but it was battered and deep fried, so it was hard to taste. We were all expecting a chunk of meat, but it was kind of mushy. Don’t think I would eat it again. I got boiled shrimp and was surprised to see they came with the heads still attached. No matter, they were huge and the heads came off easily. YUM! Barb and Doug got boiled crawfish, which were harder to peel and they got less meat, but they were pretty tasty too.

My evenings were busy as well, I tried to get Brutus in for a grooming but his rabies shot had expired.  So on Tuesday his got all his shots updated.  His poor little bum was sore and he cried when I patted his behind later in the evening.  On Wednesday I took my truck in for repairs.  I noticed a hissing noise, that no one else could hear.  Lucky I did, they had to replace a power steering hose.  The noise was air leaking from the hydraulic system.  No charge because it’s a brand new truck.  That night we went out to dinner and on Thursday Brutus finally got into the groomers.  I was ticked off when I got him back, I asked for just a trim and told them 3 times to leave the hair on his head long.  They shaved everything, she said he had mats forming.  He’s very hard to brush because his fur is so fine that just a little bit of resistance and it comes right out.  He’s fine until it gets long, the it starts to get matted.  I’m going to try a different brush, that doesn’t pull as much.  He’s so much cuter with long hair. 

I left Houma after work on Friday and drove 3 hours and spent the night in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I didn’t want to spend all day Saturday driving.  It wasn’t nearly as noisy as the rest areas and I was excited to go in and buy a fresh donut for breakfast. What a surprise when at 0600 no one was at a cash register in a 24 hour store. After waiting for a few minutes with employees walking by telling me someone would come, I gave up and left. Oh well, I’m trying to lose weight anyway. I would have made it to my next stop, Lackland AFB in San Antonio, just after noon, but I got side tracked by a big Camping World store. After traveling a bit and talking to other RVers, I have a better idea of what I need. I picked up a good surge protector and actually had a portable holding tank in my cart and put it back because I don’t normally stay very long at campgrounds with no sewage. I thought I’ll hold off since I won’t need it for the next 4 months. When I got to my site later that afternoon, wouldn’t you know, no sewage hookup and according to my sensor, the kitchen holding tank is full! I just emptied everything 2 days ago, so it’s more likely the sensor isn’t working. According to several people I’ve talked to, the sensors aren’t very accurate. Just in case, I’m washing dishes in a pan and dumping the water in the shower tank, a tip I just learned.

I had planned on going to the River Walk in San Antonio, but I feel much more motivated to just hang out at home today. I’ve been here a few times before and done the River Walk already. I researched the rest of my trip to California. My plan is to spend 1 day and 2 nights in San Antonio, El Paso and Casa Grande, AZ near Phoenix. My best friend Sylvia is in El Paso and my last stop is to see another dear friend, Angie, in Casa Grande, AZ.

From AZ it’s a 12 hour drive to Summit Ranger District in Stanislaus National Forest. It’s about an hour west of Sonoma. I should get there Saturday and have Sunday to recover from the week of driving. I have to pass through Desert Hot Springs, California. I found a day spa that has 8 pools of different temperatures and massages, which we all know I LOVE. It’s too hot to leave the pets in the RV with no AC, but I found a nice RV park with mineral hot spring fed pools and lots of other activities. Its only 5 hours from Phoenix, meaning Saturday would be a LONG day, so I’m still deciding if I want to stay. But now I have day spa in my head, so I found a great place for Sylvia and I to go in El Paso. We did a full day spa once for our birthday and I was hooked!! In Casa Grande, Angela and I are going to check out Casa Grande Ruins National Monument and her husband is cooking us dinner.

So far, I haven't stayed on any military bases because I haven't been near one, but this time I’m staying at FAMCAMP (Family Camping) on Lackland in San Antonio and Ft Bliss in El Paso. I admit, I do miss being around my peeps!! Right now I’m sitting in the BX Food Court watching all the young trainees. They’re so cute at that age!! J

The new pictures are at the end...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020