Manatee and air boat ride

Its been a fun week and my mom and I have been busy.  Brutus and I usually head over to see Mom and Mammaw (my beautiful 92 year young grandmother) sometime in the morning.  We've hit all the restaurants with in a 10 mile radius.  At CiCis' we ate pizza all afternoon while watching the Whitney Houston funeral.  I had to take a nap after that one.  We went to the mall where I got lunch to go at my most favorite California Pizza Kitchen and met Mom and Mammaw at the food court.  I got to chat with the nicest man while waiting for my chopped BBQ chicken salad.  I understand they serve other food, but this is all I've ever eaten there.  We had ice cream for desert.  OK I had a nap that day too. 

On Wednesday Mom and I went on an air boat ride and saw alligators, snakes, and lots of birds.  Mammaw decided to sit this one out for some reason, apparently she doesn't like snakes....  Anyone visiting Florida is required to look for alligators.  Of course there are 2 in the pond next to their house, but they're babies.  We needed to see the big ones. 












Lunch that day was just KFC, but (after our nap) for dinner we hung out at my campsite and grilled steak /shrimp/pineapple/onion/squash/tomato kabobs.  I think everything taste better cooked and eaten outside!!

We had a wicked thunderstorm one evening, I rushed home at the first sound of thunder.  I was just a mile away but by the time I got to my site, it was pouring rain, the wind was howling and there was plenty of thunder and lightening.  Of course every one of my windows were open, including the vent over my bed!  My awning was flying around, so I quickly retracted that. I shut all the windows, and just listened to the storm.  For about 5 minutes, until it got too stuffy.  I forgot how fast storms move in Florida.  About 20 minutes after I got home in a torrential downpour, the storm was over. 

Today I went swimming with the Manatees.  OK, more like floated on top of the water while they laid on the bottom.  They didn't really do anything, occasionally they floated to the top, got a breath of air and sank back down.  There were about 6 of them is a small cove.  As they came up for air, we got to touch them.  Their skin is very thick and rough.  You can see scars from being hit by propellers.  They are so slow moving, they have algae growing on them, like the sloths I saw in Costa Rica.  The fish were swarming around them, feasting I guess.  One lady in our party saw one eating, but she kept that little side show all to herself!  What the heck, it was cool anyway.  Of course, we had to eat and found a great little Thai place.  My mom didn't like hers, so I now have leftovers for dinner and maybe even lunch tomorrow!


Tomorrow is my last day in Florida, we're going to just hang out and do nothing.  I have to rest up for my next stop, Savannah Georgia.  I decided to turn down the campground job.  If I'm going to work for free, I'd like to give back to society and not a camp ground. 

I'm going to work on Habitat for Humanity (HFH) builds.  They have a program called Care-A-Vanners.  Its a group of HFH volunteers who travel the country in RV's and build houses.  When I lived in Michigan I was a HFH volunteer for about 5 years and I loved it.  We hosted some Care-A-Vanners and I always thought about doing that while I travel.  Wouldn't you know, when I sent them an email to join,  I got Lu Tillotson  from the  very same group that came to Alpena! 

After visiting Savannah I'll make my way to Knoxville TN to work on one build then on to Corpus Christi TX for another. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great time Lisa! Love your plan to work for HFH.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020