Not doing much

I've been here for a few days now. We haven't done much in the way of adventure yet, but have gotten in some good visiting, shopping and eating!  Brutus has been getting spoiled, when my mom and I go out, he gets to stay with my grandmother and his uncle Max.  Max is a sweet little West Highland Terrier and they get along great.  Of course Brutus spends all his time sitting in my grandmother's lap.  I think that arrangement is mutually agreeable!

I spent Friday at the DMV getting my tags and license switched over.  I've never seen a more difficult process, I was talking to the clerk for about 45 minutes.  They have to write to my lien holder to see if its OK to register my truck in Florida.  They want two forms of government issued ID to prove I am who I say I am, but a military ID (issued by the federal government) doesn't count.   I had to produce every piece of paperwork connected to buying the truck and RV.   I also found out the state of Florida would like me to please pay them the difference between the VA tax rate and FL tax rate, which comes out to 3% of the cost of my truck and camper, or close to $2200.  That does not please me, but there is a way around it.  I only have to pay I have owned the vehicle for less then 6 months.  By the time the paperwork get to the lien holder and back to DMV, I will have had the truck exactly 6 months.  I've only had the RV for 4, so it will stay registered in VA for 2 more months. 

On Sunday we drove over to the Tampa area to see a friend of mine from Oregon and her husband - Margie and Bob.  My mom and grandmother joined us and we had a fine time catching up.  Of course no one but Margie and I got a word in edgewise, but Bob did come up with the great idea to get my congressman involved in my VA disability claim.  I've been a Florida resident for all of 2 days of course, I'll have to look up who it is.  I should probably figure out what county I'm in as a first step. 

We'll keep it to ourselves what was so funny, but we were remembering old times in the 142 Fighter Wing in the Oregon Air National Guard. 
















The temperature here has been really warm, but no nice sunny days to lay on the beach as I hoped.  On Wednesday I'm going to swim with the manatee and Thursday my mom and I are going on an air boat ride.   We might be able to squeeze in a visit to Gator world on Friday.  On Sunday I'm moving on - my next stop will be Savnnah Georgia for 4 days before I begin my workamp job. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecticut and Rhode Island

Tennessee Nov 2020 to June 2022

Life and Death June to Nov 2020